Advanced Aquarist article : On Lighting for Tridacnid Clams

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this article and just wanted to share. I have been asking exactly this question with the fact I am setting up a 30" tall 220 and would love to have my clams on the bottom but still staying with 250w bulbs. I only have maxima (3) and Dersa (2). According to the article they are some of the least light demanding so I should be fine. I also plan on adding a squammy or two down the road but with that being said the maxima is the most light demanding clam I will have.

Aquarium Invertebrates: On Lighting for Tridacnid Clams — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm keeping T. derasa, T. squamosa, T. crocea AND T. maxima, on the sand bed, of a 27" deep tank, under T5HO, with no problems at all. They've been there for a long time, healthy as can be.

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article! I'm going to post it up on my local site. Knowledge is power!:)

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm keeping T. derasa, T. squamosa, T. crocea AND T. maxima, on the sand bed, of a 27" deep tank, under T5HO, with no problems at all. They've been there for a long time, healthy as can be.

Good to know....:bigsmile: I really don't want to go to 400w. That was the reason I got the lumenbright reflectors so they could punch the light down to the sand.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good read - i haven't tried a clam under my LEDs yet but have been looking at them again and thinking about it, i wonder about spectrum as well as intensity especially when looking at the more shallow living species

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good read - i haven't tried a clam under my LEDs yet but have been looking at them again and thinking about it, i wonder about spectrum as well as intensity especially when looking at the more shallow living species

I have been wondering the same as well. One of the reasons I have held off on led lights for now. Maybe someone will chime in that has had clams under led lights for at least a year.

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 squamosa on the sand bed of a 24" deep tank and doing well under 2 250 MH and coralvue moonlights.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think if you have T5's with good individual reflectors and 4 or more bulbs you should be able to keep clams at depths up to 18". Deeper than that you would need 6 or more bulbs.

As for MH it really depends on the depth of the tank, I had a 75g setup with 175 w halides and I kept Maxima's and Crocea's on the sand.

I've never had LED's so I can't comment on them.

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that it depends on the tank too, and how much there is for them to eat. E.g, a more established tank with some plankton, etc. can probably get by with less light. I know alot of folks say that a young clam needs that more, but an older clam will use it too if its available.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite articles. There's a lot of good information that can be found by reading back issues of Advanced Aquariast.

CJ

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wondering the same as well. One of the reasons I have held off on led lights for now. Maybe someone will chime in that has had clams under led lights for at least a year.

I haven't had LEDs for a year but 6 months. I have the Evo 20000K. My derasa browned out, not completely but noticeable. My squamosa looked brown with white dots, recently sold it and it looked really nice under MH (white dots were baby blue and green). I got a teal crocea, it looks blue now. All where healthy and growing, some just weren't as colorful looking. Maybe a whiter color temp?

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great link Paul...i have always thought about picking up a clam. Glad to know which require more and less light.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've had a Crocea under DIY LED lights since last may. I haven't noticed a change in color and it's still growing well (around 5" now).

CJ

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back