Advice for 3rd floor set-up

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm in the process of planning and deciding which tank i should buy. I had to recently move, so i sold all my previous tanks and im setting up a brand new one. I moved to a NEW construction townhome in California. It's set-up where my first floor is only garage, no second floor (just stairs), and then my entire living space is on the third floor. Below the living space for me are my neighbors. I reached out to the homebuilders (KB homes) and said i wanted to add a tank that was 1500 to 2000 lbs, and wanted to know which walls were load bearing. They responded with "any wall is fine, preferably the exterior walls, and no where in the middle of any room." Not very helpful, but i guess they just dont want to be liable if they say a specific weight. With that said, I created a table with the options and info, and was hoping to get some advice from R2R on what is a safe size. PREFERABLY, I'd like to go with the 525L (139 gal). Appreciate your help in advance

Aquarium Choice.png

20220227_160836.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they say "exterior walls", pretty sure they're referring to your 2nd choice, ie: where your couch is. Your first choice is probably an interior wall. Is your flooring concrete slab or wood?

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they say "exterior walls", pretty sure they're referring to your 2nd choice, ie: where your couch is. Your first choice is probably an interior wall. Is your flooring concrete slab or wood?
This is California, so we're mostly wood homes because of earthquakes. However the 1st floor is concrete. So all the exterior walls are load bearing (2nd choice), but I'm not sure I know how much a load bearing wall fan hold.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is California, so we're mostly wood homes because of earthquakes. However the 1st floor is concrete. So all the exterior walls are load bearing (2nd choice), but I'm not sure I know how much a load bearing wall fan hold.
I'm not entirely sure either. The 425 G2 is a good compromise if you're not sure about the weight of the 525.

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at this table, the weight is more spread out with 525 than 425.

FB_IMG_1652116940989.jpg

I found some more pics of the foundation and I think my floor would be able to support a couple of thousand lbs easily.

Let me know if you guys have any other thoughts. The blue is the joists it will sit on . It's a load bearing wall so the weight will transfer to the red foundation.
Screenshot_20220509-095545_Photos.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back