Advice for flow

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to order a peninsula style 96”x48”x30” depth monster. The tank will be 1” acrylic on the 8 foot sides and probably 3/4” on the 4 foot sides. The plan is to do a fairly open aqua scape. One that will give plenty of caves and overhangs for the fish while also allowing for lots of swim space. Bonus will be that it will help focus the lighting on these coral islands so I can use a few less light fixtures.

The coral plan is a mixed reef but I do love SPS so I will need at least decent flow. I don’t see me trying SPS dominant, maybe about 30 SPS total.

So you know the dimensions and you know the coral plan. What’s left is everything else! I despise the idea of a canopy so I won’t be able to hide return lines and power cables that go from one end to the other just to get flow. I’m not opposed to vortechs or gyres but then I have to deal with power cables. The obvious idea is closed loop but I don’t want to have nozzles that are super obvious either. So I’m looking for help from those who have experience in the field of monster tank flow.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 MP60’s 1 each end and a MP40 in the middle and thats plenty of flow along with an Abyss A200 return.

You cant see the wires through the tank as you look at it because of the mirror effect of the glass On the outside the wires are not really noticeable as long as you make them straight and neat.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I saw a tank a few years ago that had a closed loop with a very open rock structure.
The suction and returns were concealed with rock built into feet for the main rock structures.
The guy used Instant Ocean Holdfast to form rock into caves that concealed the inlets.
No matter how careful you are there will always be something visible

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back