Advice for moving larger rock structures with corals

mudskipper1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I will be moving my current system (5'x2'x2') in a couple of months. New home will be ~6 hour drive away. I have moved smaller systems before, so I have a pretty good handle on general workflow, how to keep things oxygenated and the right temperature, etc. Other possessions will be taken care of ahead of time, so moving day will be pretty much focused on the tank move.

My previous systems were all just stacked rocks. This time, I have 3 larger structures connected with superglue and Marco mortar. These structures are pretty well covered with SPS colonies at this point, with some getting quite large. Ideally. I would be able to move them intact, without breaking them up again). I have been looking into options for larger containers that could hold one of these larger structures that are roughly 20"x20"x14". The 55 gallon Brute trash cans are my current leading option, but I am not 100% sure these structure will fit in the bottom. I have also been looking at rectangular polyethylene open-top tanks, large coolers, stock tanks, but they tend to be either expensive (>$500) or not have a workable lid to prevent excess sloshing (Michigan roads are awful). Anyone have other ideas that have a large enough footprint, are tall enough to have room for a bit of sloshing, and have a good lid?

Other tips for moving a large-ish system this distance are appreciated as well!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubbermaid makes stock tanks that run about $125.00 for 100 gallon size , $100.00 for the 50gal. Thats local here at the farm supply store. You can stretch wrap the the top to help keep water from splashing out. Some of our local club members have one and they are avail for loan.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back