Advice if lowering Nitrates and Phosphates Needed

Pattheerin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Recently had a death in the tank, and couldn't find the fish after a few days. Needless to say, got a large bacteria bloom, and a big spike in nitrates and phosphates. Previously nitrates tested anywhere from 2.5-5, and phosphates very low. I'm now getting readings of nitrates around 25-35, and need to get another phosphate reading today, but testing pretty high.

I did a 25% water change two days ago, waited 24 hours and no difference in either. I'm wondering if I should let it run it's course to return to normal, or if I should start dosing something to help out?

Thanks for any input you guys can provide!

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate is the least damaging form of nutrient buildup (25-35 nitrate may cause some algae growth, but won't hurt your fish in the short term). Not knowing any details about your tank setup and filtration (other than you don't have a sump). Nitrate is not going to go down without some method of export. If you don't have any mechanical export (skimmer, reactor, scrubber, etc...), then an additional water change is your best bet.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep doing frequent water changes and siphon your sand while you’re at it. It’s by far the easiest and probably the safest way to go. The lack of change in nitrate level after the water change was probably due to the bacterial bloom dying off and releasing N03 + P04.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 77 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back