Advice needed - Corals dying

Mavlza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I have set up a a reef tank for over a year now but I'm not able to keep any coral alive they all die sometimes in months and never show any sign of growth only get worse overtime until tissue is separated from the skeleton in corals like favia, leptoseris, chalice and most of them are hardy corals. I still have a branching montipora that has very few polyps extended but most of the plug is dead and a torch which was fine for a couple of months until suddenly one of the heads didn't open and then got a brown jelly on top that later affected the other head. Nutrients had been on the low end of nitrate and I increase it from around 5 ppm to 15 ppm, phosphates are around .02-.04 tested with hanna checkers.
It's a bare bottom tank that I started with dry base rock
The tank is growing a lot of coralline algae, that tells me that everything can't be that bad, I have tested a lot and every parameters seem to be on point.
Can't seem to figure this out, I had 120 gallon tank before with lots of SPS for 10 years
I'm thinking that I may a have some kind of bacterial problem but I can't be sure. I'm thinking in a UV sterilizer as my last option before I tear down the tank and start over.
Attached is a picture of a leptoseris that lost 30% of its remaining tissue from one day to another also you can see lots of coralline on the frag rack and is getting the same kind of purple on every rock and glass.
Please let me know any advice possible.
Thanks in advance.

IMG_7596.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mavlza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk 8.3 - Ca 455 - Mg 1320 (Salifert)
Salinity 1.026 (hanna and double checked with refractometer)
Temp 78.4 - 78.9 ºF, I don't know if that is to much variation but is recently because of the summer; I have already connected a fan to a controller to minimize the changes in temperature.

Back