Advice Needed - Thank you!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Culliix
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Culliix

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 7, 2023
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
United Kingdom
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening All

I consider myself to be a super amatuer in this hobbie. I have had two tanks previously and unfortunately, i guess i tried to run before i could walk and they didnt work out for whatever reason. I have just purchased and set up a new red sea reefer 200 xl. This time i have gone for more "mechanical" filtration and have tried to purchase additional items which will hopefully reduce the maintenance down. One of the things that put me off before was spending 2 hours an evening tweeking stuff and then finding out the next day i made it worse. Before buying this tank i put the obligatory 100 hours of youtube in which as expected confused me even more as everyone in this hobbie has a strong but different opinion.

So that leads us to today. I have the 200 XL as above. I have it set up with a red sea reef mat and a red sea skimmer below. I have removed the sock comaprtment and am running a Jebao 2500 pump in the return section. When i initially filled the tank it was happy days was nice and quiet.
However i then installed the reef matt and had huge issues with splashing and running water from under the reefmat. So i raised the water level in the sump and this began to fix the issue. I have been ticking around with the main drain diaphragm for days now. I get it silent and then all of a sudden its either to high and falling down the emergancy again or it decides to massively drop.
I havent adjusted the baffles and I have a even level of water across the whole sump. No sepeartion in water height between sections.

Is this just new tank stuff and its a case of the tank and pipes settling in? Do i just need to ride this out? I have no fish in yet of course and am in no rush to do so until i get things dialed in i guess. So does this just need dialing in? I know i will re see these issues when i put the skimmer on but didnt see the point in running the skimmer until i have fish in? Is that correct?

I should mentioned i also have the reef ato from red sea and this is working perfect so it wont be down to evap. The only other thing i think could be the issue is.. I am now not sure that the return pump is man enough for the job or is dropping power every now and agian.. thoughts and advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
 
1686501485515.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 53 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new