Advice needed_new tank syndrome

Cutebarra77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,
I am planning to replace my existing 322 with a good condition second hand 322 and that includes retaining all my existing rocks, fishes and Corals (LPS and softies). This replacement covers the DT, sump and cabinet.

I am worried that new tank syndrome may kicked in and turn this exercise into a disaster. My thinking is that if I reuse 80% of the old tank water with the new setup, that should minimise the new tank syndrome risk. My target is to complete this entire exercise with one day.

Other points:
- My old 322 has been running for more than 2 years and has a sandbed. The new tank installed will be barebottom.

- my plan is to transfer the fishes and Corals into 2 separate boxes with air pumps and old tank water to keep them alive during the tank and sump transfer

Appreciate all advices and inputs.
Many thanks

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,
I am planning to replace my existing 322 with a good condition second hand 322 and that includes retaining all my existing rocks, fishes and Corals (LPS and softies). This replacement covers the DT, sump and cabinet.

I am worried that new tank syndrome may kicked in and turn this exercise into a disaster. My thinking is that if I reuse 80% of the old tank water with the new setup, that should minimise the new tank syndrome risk. My target is to complete this entire exercise with one day.

Other points:
- My old 322 has been running for more than 2 years and has a sandbed. The new tank installed will be barebottom.

- my plan is to transfer the fishes and Corals into 2 separate boxes with air pumps and old tank water to keep them alive during the tank and sump transfer

Appreciate all advices and inputs.
Many thanks

Think any move still has 'new tank syndrome' risk but your planning will minimize. Keep us posted

OP
OP
Cutebarra77

Cutebarra77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,

An overdue update here.
Happy to share that all went well with the tank transfer and I did not experience any new tank syndrome till now (at least 3 weeks).

What I did in the exercise:
- transferred all livestocks into temp big containers using 100% old tank water.
- separated the livestocks into dedicated fish, Corals and live rocks containers
- put in air stones to circulate and aerate the water in the containers
- the temp holding area lasted for at least 6hrs before I transfer them back into the new tank
- the new tank setup is a bare bottom one. No sand
- livestock and old tank water were transfered to the new tank
- so far, no livestock casualties.

Keep reefing!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it went well.
Should you be testing for ammonia, and nitrites?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • None.

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.4%
Back