Advice on best process for repainting Red Sea stand

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used Red Sea 250 for a nice price. However, it came with a black stand, and I'd like to repaint the stand white. I came across this thread, which suggested vinyl wrap, which I'm not interested in. I understand this is going to take work and time for it to look good, but I don't mind. I also am not planning on purchasing a new stand, this one seems to be in good shape, and if it came to that I'd rather just build a new one from plywood, which I'm also not interested in doing right now.

I've done some cabinetry and paint work before, but always on top of plywood, we just used kilz primer and water based paint. I've never painted a surface like the Red Sea stand before. I've seen some people suggest using a kilz oil based primer and then an oil based appliance enamel epoxy paint.

For those that have more experience with painting aquarium stands, especially if you've repainted a stand with a finish similar to the Red Sea stands, is this what you would recommend? Any particular process or approach that you would take in the repainting process?

Thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself, I'd vinyl wrap the sucker in white. I don't think the stand is marine plywood (the newer G2 models have upgraded stands), so I'm thinking MDF or something?

Tsquared

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinyl wrap is a good way to go. If you want something a little more involved, I tiled mine with wall tile and liquid nails adhesive. You would need a tile saw. There a plenty of self stick versions available as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back