Advice on filtration for my AIO tank.

Marine_Master

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am kindly seeking some advice on my AIO tank. Its been up an running almost 3 months now. I am completely new to keeping any type of fish and have found reef 2 reef very helpful in my quest.
My question is... in the back compartments that contain my skimmer, pump etc I have a sponge filter in the very first compartment followed by my skimmer then an empty compartment that I have filled with small 20mm lava rock, and then a return pump.... should I be cleaning the sponge filter regularly or should it be left alone. I was cleaning it every other day in RO water but the dude at my fish store told me to stop because id be removing healthy bacteria. I've also read a couple of discussions on whether to even use a sponge due to it holding lots of food and debris thus releasing lots of nitrates into the water. (also salifert nitrate test kit is reading between 25 - 50 on the colour chart in a 30G tank )
thanks in advance for any reply's.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try getting some filter floss in there, I put mine right where the water falls. You should remember to change it often to prevent as much dissolving as possible. As to nutrients, can you share your livestock?

OP
OP
M

Marine_Master

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try getting some filter floss in there, I put mine right where the water falls. You should remember to change it often to prevent as much dissolving as possible. As to nutrients, can you share your livestock?
Hi Matt, just had a little google on filter floss! Never heard of that stuff before... you think I should swap out my sponge for filter floss or do you mean I should be using both?
I have 2 clown fish 3 blue chromis one 6-line wrasse and a bangai cardinal.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Matt, just had a little google on filter floss! Never heard of that stuff before... you think I should swap out my sponge for filter floss or do you mean I should be using both?
I have 2 clown fish 3 blue chromis one 6-line wrasse and a bangai cardinal.
My apologies, I’ve been a little busy and haven’t been able to be on r2r as much recently. But you could leave both in there. The filter floss could be the first stage and the sponge could capture anything the filter floss didn’t

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back