Fluval Flex 15G mechanical filtration help

Ozz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am new to the hobby and currently cycling my tank. It's day 22 of my cycle and I am getting close to being able to have my first fish (I'm thinking of a firefish or tail spot blenny).
I recently got this custom filtration media basket for the middle compartment of my "sump" (picture provided). My question is what should I put in each shelf? My LFS recommended chemiPure, but what about the rest? Filter floss, sponges, carbon, biomedia? Feeling a bit lost.

1000002939.jpg
1000002940.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
seems you have space for all of that in each little compartment. i would definitely add filter floss first to catch any lose stuff, and then work your way into the chemipure then bio media

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above, I would just add filter floss for now, add others later as needed. No real need for anything right now in a brand new tank.

OP
OP
Ozz

Ozz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems you have space for all of that in each little compartment. i would definitely add filter floss first to catch any lose stuff, and then work your way into the chemipure then bio media
I appreciate the guidance. I was thinking filter floss first, then sponge, then chemipure and then biomedia

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I appreciate the guidance. I was thinking filter floss first, then sponge, then chemipure and then biomedia
filter floss and sponge serve the same effect however with the sponge you can have a nice little “pod hotel” for them to reproduce. however the filter floss and sponge will need to be routinely cleaned

OP
OP
Ozz

Ozz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
filter floss and sponge serve the same effect however with the sponge you can have a nice little “pod hotel” for them to reproduce. however the filter floss and sponge will need to be routinely cleaned
Can you elaborate on "pod hotel"? I am not familiar.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Can you elaborate on "pod hotel"? I am not familiar.
pod hotel is a reference term to just an isolated area where very small crustaceans can hide and reproduce. they’re a naturally occurring organism in reefs that are a staple of biodiversity and the ecosystem

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back