No mechanical filtration in reef tank?

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For biological filtration you need organic waste, bacteria and fungi. And water. Nothing else.
Sand or rock provides surface area for biological growth.

If sand or stone is used as a filter, it is a mechanical filter, but usually a mix of both due to the presence of organic waste.

A skimmer, formerly called a protein skimmer, does not in principle use biological life as a filtration medium, although biological degradation does of course take place, as is the case everywhere where organic substances are available. Skimming the water in an aquarium will be difficult without using mechanical means.

The use of a skimmer in a small aquarium can be very dramatic due to the very selective removal of organic substances and the failure to remove inorganic nitrogen compounds.

Biological filtration is based on complete decomposition and the availability of all building materials for rapid new growth, which should ensure pure water. This requires all building materials and not just those that are not removed by a skimmer. To keep the balance and clear water new growth must be harvested.

The use of a skimmer has a major influence on the nitrogen reserve and the rate at which nitrogen can be used up.

ref: The protein skimmer

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m here. I was buying a 6g tank for my 6” clownfish pair. Did I miss you?
Go out back, behind the TLE department..
6" clownfish pair!?! That sounds like a pain in the a as. Are they getting the 6 footer for themselves?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go out back, behind the TLE department..
6" clownfish pair!?! That sounds like a pain in the a as. Are they getting the 6 footer for themselves?
Nah. 6 gallons. According to other threads that’s all they need.

Give it a week and I’ll be posting about coral dying under my 5w incandescent light and I don’t know why.

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm guys..., 6:21 and I'm at Walmart by the grocery side, where's everybody at..
Some security guard named Killian kicked me off the property because I was setting barriers with caution tape.

For biological filtration you need organic waste, bacteria and fungi. And water. Nothing else.
Sand or rock provides surface area for biological growth.

If sand or stone is used as a filter, it is a mechanical filter, but usually a mix of both due to the presence of organic waste.

A skimmer, formerly called a protein skimmer, does not in principle use biological life as a filtration medium, although biological degradation does of course take place, as is the case everywhere where organic substances are available. Skimming the water in an aquarium will be difficult without using mechanical means.

The use of a skimmer in a small aquarium can be very dramatic due to the very selective removal of organic substances and the failure to remove inorganic nitrogen compounds.

Biological filtration is based on complete decomposition and the availability of all building materials for rapid new growth, which should ensure pure water. This requires all building materials and not just those that are not removed by a skimmer. To keep the balance and clear water new growth must be harvested.

The use of a skimmer has a major influence on the nitrogen reserve and the rate at which nitrogen can be used up.

ref: The protein skimmer
Some of you might've noticed this. Others might not have. I'd like to hear other peoples recollection of events.

Circa November 2022, my protein skimmer produced more skimmate than usual. During that time, it filled the cup faster than my interval of inspection. What usually took a week to fill was overflowing in 2 days time.

In the aftermath, I learned that based on planetary orbit, Mars was closest to to the earth. Based on these 2 celestial planets proximity to one another, I suspect that there were forces beyond the realm of "normal" that were acting upon our tanks, and one of the obvious indicators that presented itself was more skimmate production.

I couldn't begin to speak smartly about what was was taking place at the time.

Was it bacterial? Did binary fission speed up due to the proximity of the 2 planets?

Was it chemical? Did the presence of Mars gravitational pull supercharge fractionation allowing the chemical process to work exceptionally well?

Was it mechanical? Did earth pass through a debris field orbiting Mars and with it, changed the composition of our atmosphere just enough to make the skimmer more efficient?

Did any one else notice this? Please don't hesitate to share.

I think we need to get the word out so that people are prepared for the next close encounter in January 2025.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My $12,000 active electron aligner and cleaner for my audiophile grade stereo system and my golden ear say otherwise,
I think I saw that advertisement in the back of a comic book, right next to the sea monkeys...

The only thing that $12k purchase got you was whiter teeth.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back