Anyone else use no mechanical filtration?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Slocke
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I have a few tanks and each one is different. My tropical sps I have not run my roller filter in weeks and mostly it is on when I am blowing some detritus up from the sand bed etc. I run a skimmer on that as well but don’t get much, just a big air stone really. That tank is is pretty heavy in but I struggle to keep Po4.
My temperate I have to run a roller filter because I feed live kelp and other macros to that tank. The waste created is huge and I have to do serious water changes to keep the Po4 down.
I just added a filter roller to my IM 30L because also the struggle is real on keeping nutrient’s down. It is a LPs softy tank that I started with rocks from a box that just hasn’t turned the corner yet.
I guess what I am saying is every tank goes thru certain stages that requires different forms of filtration. I am setting up a frag tank now that I am putting on a roller fleece, but will be putting on a bypass so I can turn it on when I want.
 
I have a few tanks and each one is different. My tropical sps I have not run my roller filter in weeks and mostly it is on when I am blowing some detritus up from the sand bed etc. I run a skimmer on that as well but don’t get much, just a big air stone really. That tank is is pretty heavy in but I struggle to keep Po4.
My temperate I have to run a roller filter because I feed live kelp and other macros to that tank. The waste created is huge and I have to do serious water changes to keep the Po4 down.
I just added a filter roller to my IM 30L because also the struggle is real on keeping nutrient’s down. It is a LPs softy tank that I started with rocks from a box that just hasn’t turned the corner yet.
I guess what I am saying is every tank goes thru certain stages that requires different forms of filtration. I am setting up a frag tank now that I am putting on a roller fleece, but will be putting on a bypass so I can turn it on when I want.
You keep kelp?!
 
You keep kelp?!
I feed kelp. Pacific Giant and Palm. I have a couple Wavy Turban snails (Megastraea undosa), and a couple of Norris Top snails (Norrisia norrisii) They are voracious eaters. they can decimate a piece of kelp in a matter of hours. So yes I have grown kelp before, but it would not last a minute in this tank. I do have one macro they won't touch, I believe it is a type of Bladderwrack (Fucus distichus). But I am not sure, my Macro algea ID is not that strong as @WheatToast.
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
 
I run a 450 gallon system currently with a bio k1 material filter, fuge, live rock, 20 ml daily vinegar carbon dosing and that’s it. I do have a problem with phosphates however and have to dose phosphate e. If anyone has any tips they’re welcome
Nitrates <10
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Phosphates: 0.1
I did not like the constant maintenance required with mechanical filtration and the unforgiving aspect to it if you stray off routine. I found this form of filtration much easier
 
I ran naked for awhile and got fedup with all the mulm in the sump. move anything; even look at the sump wrong and plumes of stuff when all over my tanks.
now I'm running a roller at 30 micron:
IMG_6689.JPEG
IMG_6692.JPEG
IMG_6700.JPEG
 
I ran naked for awhile and got fedup with all the mulm in the sump. move anything; even look at the sump wrong and plumes of stuff when all over my tanks.
now I'm running a roller at 30 micron:
IMG_6689.JPEG
IMG_6692.JPEG
IMG_6700.JPEG
What brand of roller is this?
 
I don't have a sump or filter socks, but I do use a reverse undergravel filter, a DIY skimmer, and a DIY algae scrubber. I never try to remove particles, but I'm sure many of them get stuck in the RUGF. 😎
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 19.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 34 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 15 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new