Anyone else use no mechanical filtration?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No socks, no sponges, no fancy filter rollers, anyone else use absolutely no mechanical filtration in their tank?

I had two problems using socks and sponges. Laziness of cleaning them and them killing fish if they got pulled down the overflow. Yes my phosphate is high but my phosphates were even higher before. Nitrates are so low I have to add more. My water is clear (unless I use GFO which turns my water orange). Now I'm not claiming this is the new secret to reefing. As you'll see I'm not even remotely close to any of the awesome tanks I see on here but it does seem to work. Tons of macro algae and carbon dosing with an oversized skimmer just work better for me. Anyone else?
IMG_0577.jpeg
IMG_0666.jpeg

Nitrates 0-10
Phosphates 0.2-0.4

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skimmer and live rock for filtration and nothing else! I’ve always rolled this way and always will! It’s simple and it works. I also carbon dose as you do. People get carried away with these filter rollers, uv etc.. here’s my numbers with no fuge, no chateo, no roller, no nothing but a skimmer and carbon dosing of bacto balance.
IMG_2384.png

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skimmer and live rock for filtration and nothing else! I’ve always rolled this way and always will! It’s simple and it works. I also carbon dose as you do. People get carried away with these filter rollers, uv etc.. here’s my numbers with no fuge, no chateo, no roller, no nothing but a skimmer and carbon dosing of bacto balance.
IMG_2384.png
And you do have a very impressive tank. That certainly helps me feel vindicated!

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get your point, but a skimmer is mechanical filtration.

I currently run a skimmer and socks, but I think I'm about to pull the socks and see what happens. Not a fan of constantly changing and cleaning them. And to be honest, the only reason I even use them is they came with the tank and I was under the impression at the time that they were a necessary evil.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, filter socks are ineffective for nutrient prevention. I use it for 3 reasons:

1) Removes particles in a reef tank
2) Prevents a mud from forming in the sump
3) quiets the overflow into the sump compartment

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get your point, but a skimmer is mechanical filtration.

I currently run a skimmer and socks, but I think I'm about to pull the socks and see what happens. Not a fan of constantly changing and cleaning them. And to be honest, the only reason I even use them is they came with the tank and I was under the impression at the time that they were a necessary evil.
Darn I guess you are right. Should have called it no particulate filtration.

My tank is a lot of shoddy diy so never had your sock issue lol

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No socks, no sponges, no fancy filter rollers, anyone else use absolutely no mechanical filtration in their tank?

I had two problems using socks and sponges. Laziness of cleaning them and them killing fish if they got pulled down the overflow. Yes my phosphate is high but my phosphates were even higher before. Nitrates are so low I have to add more. My water is clear (unless I use GFO which turns my water orange). Now I'm not claiming this is the new secret to reefing. As you'll see I'm not even remotely close to any of the awesome tanks I see on here but it does seem to work. Tons of macro algae and carbon dosing with an oversized skimmer just work better for me. Anyone else?
IMG_0577.jpeg
IMG_0666.jpeg

Nitrates 0-10
Phosphates 0.2-0.4
I got a mesh bag full of sand that the water flows over and change 1.5% water a day, that's it for me.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, filter socks are ineffective for nutrient prevention. I use it for 3 reasons:

1) Removes particles in a reef tank
2) Prevents a mud from forming in the sump
3) quiets the overflow into the sump compartment
Thats the weird thing. This tank doesn't have a buildup of particulate. The sand in both the DT and sump is nice and white. Don't know why as logically it should be though. Maybe because I have a good cuc and highish flow on each side.

Also my tank has been quieter since removing them. The sponge that was in the overflow box caused the water to backup and fall a greater distance which was loud. Then on the other side I couldn't find a way of adding socks without decreasing the pipe length and having the water fall into the sump from above. Without the socks I can use longer pipes that go deep into the sump and are thus silent.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It can be done. In the 80's and 90's, we relied on undergravel units only, then came the age of bio-wheel and bio-sponge filters. Power filters are often regarded as mechanical units, it is doable but requires close monitoring of water quality.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank doesn't have a buildup of particulate
Same here. The only build up I get is a small pile of "sand", presumably old coralline algae. The sump is also clear. The return pump has become a housing facility for sponge growth.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered adding a filter roller, but the logistics suck and I am not sure what I gain or lose.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered adding a filter roller, but the logistics suck and I am not sure what I gain or lose.
Hypothetically thinking I would imagine you lose a ton of bacteria and nutrients since the roller strips the water of heavy particulate and doesn’t give the tank any time to process it.. I feel it’s one of the main factors in the dino explosion of the last few years. That’s my thoughts anyways..

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. The only build up I get is a small pile of "sand", presumably old coralline algae. The sump is also clear. The return pump has become a housing facility for sponge growth.
This is the most annoying thing for me. Whenever I cycle the return pump, it sheers some of the sponge, and then it sprays sponge pieces into the DT when I turn the pump back on haha

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0577.jpeg
IMG_0666.jpeg

Nitrates 0-10
Phosphates 0.2-0.4
yes. Strictly live rock and water changes, nothing else.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used mechanical filtration on reef tanks (I think a skimmer is a weird thing, not really mechanical, but kinda), unless for spot cleaning, in like 20 years - including all the focus tanks and holding tanks I worked on at the Steinhart Aquarium.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For me, a hang on skimmer such as IceCap K1 would be my preference

Starbuxxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypothetically thinking I would imagine you lose a ton of bacteria and nutrients since the roller strips the water of heavy particulate and doesn’t give the tank any time to process it.. I feel it’s one of the main factors in the dino explosion of the last few years. That’s my thoughts anyways..
Yea, I feel the same about rollers and sock. It removes some of the good things want to remain. Not worth it. I'll just deal with my moody skimmer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back