No mechanical filtration in reef tank?

KevinPuppy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a rimless 8 gallon shallow fish tank and I am considering not using any mechanical filtration. I will rely on the biological filtration provided by the rock and sand. What are your thoughts on whether or not I should use a filter? I only plan on having a maximum of 3 fish with a few invertebrates and soft corals in the tank.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can be done with a small bio load easily. You will want to periodically vacuum your sand to remove particulate matter and organics. A routine water change schedule once established will help keep No3 and Po4 in check.

OP
OP
K

KevinPuppy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is far too small for 3 fish, very few fish would be happy in that tank size. Always a good idea to google suggested tank sizes for fish before purchase for their health and happiness
I plan on keeping a pair for 2 clown fish and still deciding on the other one

OP
OP
K

KevinPuppy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The width of the aquarium is quite long and most fish need room to swim side to side. I plan on only keeping a pair of clownfish, and still haven’t decided on the other one yet.

Gretchacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi KevinPuppy :)
Why not?
If your tank is very mature so that sandbed and rock is deeply evolved, all the better. Otherwise rely on frequent water changes until then.
The surface skim will be your challenge with this set up. A bubbler would help, such as the result of a sponge filter, but it sprays droplets everywhere that dry into corrosive salt crystals and frosts the glass between cleanings. A lot of turnover at the surface, like a gyre wavemaker or return pump nozzle directed parallel with the surface is an idea, too. Ocassional lifting of skum with paper towel may be necessary. I have had many small tanks. New pico has a sponge filter. Waterbox with canister filter has no overflow. The challenge is to keep things oxygenated everywhere, no dead corners.

Clowns get pretty big and eat a lot. It seems smaller fish would suit your filtration idea better. I think you would get a lot of oily skum with two adult clowns. FWIW, I read a pair needs a square foot of territory, at least. Might be uncomfortablely tight for a third fish when the fish mature.

Maybe a pink streaked wrasse, firefish, shrimp goby and pistol shrimp pair, striped fang blenny, royal gramma, something along those lines. 2” or less

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's considered a biological filter... water isn't passing through any filter media.
I would disagree with this statement. A biological filter insinuates that some form of bacteria or other organism is breaking down or removing waste. The premise behind a skimmer is a mechanical introduction of fine bubbles that remove the waste due to the foam fractionation. It is essentially the same concept as a filter floss...

Screenshot_20240313-230138_Chrome.jpg

CopepodsForSale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a rimless 8 gallon shallow fish tank and I am considering not using any mechanical filtration. I will rely on the biological filtration provided by the rock and sand. What are your thoughts on whether or not I should use a filter? I only plan on having a maximum of 3 fish with a few invertebrates and soft corals in the tank.
ive seen it done before just be vigilant on water changes and not to have a huge bio load.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it can definitely be done here's a video I just watched about this, sounds like a good idea to me with waterchanges, and it will look very clean without a bunch of equipment.

OP
OP
K

KevinPuppy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it can definitely be done here's a video I just watched about this, sounds like a good idea to me with waterchanges, and it will look very clean without a bunch of equipment.

I’ve seen this video before. I want to have very little equipment, I only have a wavemaker and a heater. I think I’ll give it a try without any chemical or mechanical filtration!!!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Far too small for two clowns.

Maybe a SINGLE Randall’s goby or similar fish that is mostly stationary. That is even pushing it.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen people keep a pair of clownfish in smaller tanks. The width of the tank is long.
Can and should are two opposite things. I don't think anyone is trying to be mean. Even dealers recommend 20g and its in their best interest for that number to be as small as possible.

In my personal experience my clowns own almost half of my 90g. They are mean, territorial fish. Nothing like the cartoon.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back