No mechanical filtration in reef tank?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen people keep a pair of clownfish in smaller tanks. The width of the tank is long.
That does not make it right. An 8 gallon tank, long or not, is not at all suitable for two clownfish, let alone 3 fish.

You can put one small (suitable) goby or other fish that stays in one spot in that tank.

It is not a bio load issue, it is a cruelty to the fish issue.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just purchased a rimless 8 gallon shallow fish tank and I am considering not using any mechanical filtration. I will rely on the biological filtration provided by the rock and sand. What are your thoughts on whether or not I should use a filter? I only plan on having a maximum of 3 fish with a few invertebrates and soft corals in the tank.
You will want some form of water flow and rock alone needs oxygen and water movement and may or may not sustain the biological needs of the tank. Filter will entrap small particles, add water movement and assist with surface agitation

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are aggressive and I had one in my 75g and he would be defensive of his area and that areas was almost 18” radius. And he killed fish that came near him, he also was 2-3” and when a 6” banana wrasse came in the area, the clownfish attacked and bit out my wrasses eyeball. The banana wrasse was moved to another tank, healed and lived with me for many years.

The clown continued to be aggressive and defensive and everyone learned to stay away from him.

That was a a few years ago, and currently I have a 15g Nano with a different clownfish and I wouldn’t even imagine putting another fish in. This clownfish even attacks me every single time I put my hand in to do anything. He has claimed the entire 15g as his zone and won’t tolerate anything else in with him

I wont even put one in my 75g again. keep in mind these are in the damsel family and damsels are aggressive

Find something else, this plan sounds bad. Small tank, small filtration, two territorial aggressive fish and then throw a third fish in. A peaceful small one? He’s going to get attacked and chewed up

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KevinPuppy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can and should are two opposite things. I don't think anyone is trying to be mean. Even dealers recommend 20g and its in their best interest for that number to be as small as possible.

In my personal experience my clowns own almost half of my 90g. They are mean, territorial fish. Nothing like the cartoon.
Can and should are two opposite things. I don't think anyone is trying to be mean. Even dealers recommend 20g and its in their best interest for that number to be as small as possible.

In my personal experience my clowns own almost half of my 90g. They are mean, territorial fish. Nothing like the cartoon.

Clowns are aggressive and I had one in my 75g and he would be defensive of his area and that areas was almost 18” radius. And he killed fish that came near him, he also was 2-3” and when a 6” banana wrasse came in the area, the clownfish attacked and bit out my wrasses eyeball. The banana wrasse was moved to another tank, healed and lived with me for many years.

The clown continued to be aggressive and defensive and everyone learned to stay away from him.

That was a a few years ago, and currently I have a 15g Nano with a different clownfish and I wouldn’t even imagine putting another fish in. This clownfish even attacks me every single time I put my hand in to do anything. He has claimed the entire 15g as his zone and won’t tolerate anything else in with him

I wont even put one in my 75g again. keep in mind these are in the damsel family and damsels are aggressive

Find something else, this plan sounds bad. Small tank, small filtration, two territorial aggressive fish and then throw a third fish in. A peaceful small one? He’s going to get attacked and chewed up

Then I’ll stick with 2 baby clown fish, I have a 65 gallon reef tank that I could easily transfer them as they grow bigger. I’ve had clown fish in my other 40 gallon aquarium before, and they were not aggressive at all, each fish is different and yes Clownfish can be territorial, but I would say that for every fish. It looks like, in your experience, you have had aggressive clowns before. There’s not only one way to do something in this hobby.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You've had clowns before and are aware they can be territorial so why not try your hand at a different fish species? There are plenty of fish suitable for tiny systems

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just try to do what is best for the fish if you are going to try this, and move them the first time you notice anything looks off. Hopefully they are fine and live for a long time.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had clown fish in my other 40 gallon aquarium before, and they were not aggressive at all, each fish is different
Yes, some particular specimens may not be "aggressive" but the entirety of anemonefish (Amphiprioninae) is generally territorial and "aggressive" and more so as space diminishes.

You are using fallacy to rationalize and feel good about your decision. Repeating again, an 8 gallon tank is too small for two clown fish. PERIOD.

and yes Clownfish can be territorial, but I would say that for every fish. It looks like, in your experience, you have had aggressive clowns before.
See above - it is not "experience" it is the simple reality of most species of clownfish. And "territorial" is not the deciding factor here anyway. There is not enough space for that type of fish to be comfortable.

There’s not only one way to do something in this hobby.
There are multiple ways to do things and plenty of fuzzy lines, but there are patently right and wrong ways and hard lines in the sand as well.

Ignoring facts and citing "other people do it" or "there are exceptions" or "there are many ways to do things" is feel good self indulgence, not permission, absolution or excusable.

There are very few marine fish that would be suitable in an 8 gallon aquarium long term. Most of those suitable are tiny and typically not free swimmers.

We can't force you to do anything, but one would hope that as a participant in this hobby and a functioning and thinking adult you would use the common sense and reasonable advice afforded to you by those who know more than you. Ignoring said advice to make yourself happy is, well, sad.

OP
OP
K

KevinPuppy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, some particular specimens may not be "aggressive" but the entirety of anemonefish (Amphiprioninae) is generally territorial and "aggressive" and more so as space diminishes.

You are using fallacy to rationalize and feel good about your decision. Repeating again, an 8 gallon tank is too small for two clown fish. PERIOD.

See above - it is not "experience" it is the simple reality of most species of clownfish. And "territorial" is not the deciding factor here anyway. There is not enough space for that type of fish to be comfortable.

There are multiple ways to do things and plenty of fuzzy lines, but there are patently right and wrong ways and hard lines in the sand as well.

Ignoring facts and citing "other people do it" or "there are exceptions" or "there are many ways to do things" is feel good self indulgence, not permission, absolution or excusable.

There are very few marine fish that would be suitable in an 8 gallon aquarium long term. Most of those suitable are tiny and typically not free swimmers.

We can't force you to do anything, but one would hope that as a participant in this hobby and a functioning and thinking adult you would use the common sense and reasonable advice afforded to you by those who know more than you. Ignoring said advice to make yourself happy is, well, sad.

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a joke people , look at what was said , hhhhhhhhaaaaaaghhhhhaa , bnanaml cleared it up for you

OP
OP
K

KevinPuppy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ll be adding 2 baby clown fish and a sea anemone, if I feel they are not happy I will transfer them to my 65 gallon aquarium. Clownfish are considered very territorial fish, that means they will be guarding a specific area which will be all the“ 8 gallon aquarium” which is bigger than you probably think. That means they are going to be in one specific area most of the time.

I’ve been thinking about this for around 3 months and had many people say “yes you can” and “no I can’t“ and what’s actually sad is that the hobby can have very passive-aggressive and criticizing people. If I did everything that’s considered “right” in the reef hobby, you’re still going to have people who disagree.

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Michael Jackson Halloween GIF by Vevo

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be adding 2 baby clown fish and a sea anemone, if I feel they are not happy I will transfer them to my 65 gallon aquarium.
Just to stress them acclimating them and there anemone, then plucking them out in a few months when they outgrow the tank to stress them again when you put them in a proper size tank that they should have been put in to begin with?

Clownfish are considered very territorial fish, that means they will be guarding a specific area which will be all the“ 8 gallon aquarium” which is bigger than you probably think. That means they are going to be in one specific area most of the time.
It is "bigger than I think" because I just can't fathom an 8 gallon aquarium? Sorry, but that does not change the situation.

BTW - You just argued that some are not territorial, but now they are and that is justification for putting them in a tiny tank.

An 8 gallon tank is simply not suitable for two clownfish. You can twiddle the bits any way you wish, but you are only fooling yourself, nobody else. Do breeders do this? Maybe. Is it right just because they do it?

I’ve been thinking about this for around 3 months and had many people say “yes you can” and “no I can’t“ and what’s actually sad is that the hobby can have very passive-aggressive and criticizing people.
You will always find people that tell you what you want to hear, that does not mean what you want to hear is validated, it just means you heard what you wanted to hear.

Who is being passive aggressive?

If I did everything that’s considered “right” in the reef hobby, you’re still going to have people who disagree.
Again, there are fuzzy areas with anything, but this is not really one of those fuzzy areas.

Yes, you can shove two baby clowns in there and then move them in a few months when they get too big. But why stress the fish like that just to get what YOU want? Why not build the system with suitable inhabitants from the start?

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just purchased a rimless 8 gallon shallow fish tank and I am considering not using any mechanical filtration. I will rely on the biological filtration provided by the rock and sand. What are your thoughts on whether or not I should use a filter? I only plan on having a maximum of 3 fish with a few invertebrates and soft corals in the tank.

Pic for reference. Can anyone else see why this may be concerning

1710441440445.png

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic for reference. Can anyone else see why this may be concerning

1710441440445.png
Correct - add rock/coral whatever and there is just no room (there wasn't in the first place, but this makes it even worse).

7.9 gallons is the real volume if the water overflows the rim.

Subtract a few cm for actual water depth and the "7.9" theoretical gallons becomes an actual 6.5 gallons.

Add even a modest amount of substrate and rock and the 6.5 gallons becomes ~5 gallons.

This aquarium is NOT suitable for a single clownfish, let alone two of them. It is barely suitable for a tiny goby and pistol.

The OP can either choose to be a responsible member of the hobby and do his best to make educated decisions or, given the information that has been provided, knowingly do the wrong thing to please himself at the expense of the animals he chooses to keep.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is far too small for 3 fish, very few fish would be happy in that tank size. Always a good idea to google suggested tank sizes for fish before purchase for their health and happiness
I agree…if the tank is 8 gallons, taking into account water displacement from rock and sand etc you will be lucky if it’s 6 gallons of water, far too small for clowns, never mind adding an extra fish too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back