Advice on local fish store mislabeling

TubesFab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been going to my local fish store for about a year. We've gotten most of the fish and inverts for our 300g from them. The fish are healthy, tanks are clean, and prices are normally reasonable. 300+ 5 star google reviews and 160+ 5 star facebook reviews.

A couple weeks ago we were in on my birthday getting a few things. Wanted to get a sea slug for cleaning sand bed and a tang. My wife saw what was labeled a purple sea slug she really liked. We picked that up and I found a tang I liked that was labeled a Gold rim tang.

Start doing more research and find out the purple sea slug is actually a Nudibranch that only eats a specific sponge. Go back to the store a couple of days later to see if they have that sponge for them to eat. "Nope we don't get those sponges in. Sorry about that, we just sell them as ornamentals". So was annoyed they'd sell somthing they don't even have food for. Now the poor things going to starve to death (tried finding some online but the only place that had it only sold to aquariums and research facilities)

Today I found out what was advertised as a Gold rim tang is actually a powder brown tang. Paid $200.

Should I reach out to them? Leave a review? I don't feel like I'll get anywhere after stopping in to talk to them about the nudibranch. I know theres plenty of jank stores out there that mislabel and pull all sorts of stunts, but this place seemed like it was that upper tier store you could trust.

I'm starting to think I need to go back to just doing my shopping online. Just to make sure I know what I'm getting? Or just spending a couple hours researching while sitting in the showroom to make sure I'm buying what they say it is and that I can care for it properly.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm in Florida and I could go to Orlando but it's about twice the drive for me.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand how you feel, but this is typical for a pet supply store. They don’t always get what they order and suppliers can fill in other things. It’s a bit on you and on them. Seems like a lot of trouble to complain online. Get to know the manager and explain what happened. I’m sure they can guide you on your next purchase. Building a good relationship with a good LFS is invaluable. You might need advice or a tank sitter. My LFS saved my tank more than once.
Can we see these critters?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy belated birthday. Personally I would let it go

Chalk it up as a lesson to google on your phone before that purchase.

And for the tang, I just googled them, they seem to fall into the category of "often confused", such as flame tail blenny and bicolor blenny for example. It could be an honest mistake. Ask for a refund in difference in price.

Don't go there again if you're upset but don't burn the bridge either, you might need emergency supplies sometime. Good luck with that.

OP
OP
T

TubesFab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand how you feel, but this is typical for a pet supply store. They don’t always get what they order and suppliers can fill in other things. It’s a bit on you and on them. Seems like a lot of trouble to complain online. Get to know the manager and explain what happened. I’m sure they can guide you on your next purchase. Building a good relationship with a good LFS is invaluable. You might need advice or a tank sitter. My LFS saved my tank more than once.
Can we see these critters?

Selling only Saltwater fish, inverts, and coral at a niche store I guess I had higher expectations. Selling an animal that they also don't have food for knowing it will starve and die kinda puts it in the I don't want to do business with you again boat... Im not complaining about them (not like I name dropped them) I was asking for advice. I run my own business and go above and beyond if somthing isn't right. Sadly I am normally disapointed on how other small businesses handle things most of the time.

1709765569606.png

Sorry for the dirty glass
Dont have a picture of the nudi I'm sure it'll be out tonight if it hasn't kicked the bucket yet.
(here is a google pic)
1709766275826.png

Happy belated birthday. Personally I would let it go

Chalk it up as a lesson to google on your phone before that purchase.

And for the tang, I just googled them, they seem to fall into the category of "often confused", such as flame tail blenny and bicolor blenny for example. It could be an honest mistake. Ask for a refund in difference in price.

Don't go there again if you're upset but don't burn the bridge either, you might need emergency supplies sometime. Good luck with that.
Thank you!

I normally do google as it's hard to plan a head when there stock is constantly changing. Guess I need to start using Google glass where you can search using a camera photo instead of the tags.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should mention "sea slug" is a synonym for nudibranch, the tangs are pretty similar species, but it definitely is frustrating buying a mislabeled fish, (also $200 is only a bit above average on what you'd pay for a medium sized powder brown)

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there fellow Florida Reefer! I would chalk this up to an honest mistake. Gorgeous nudibranch. Perhaps post another thread for recommendations on alternative foods?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang you got (A. japonicus) is imo prettier and hardier than A. nigricans, so I would call that a win
They're also regularly the same price if not cheaper than a powder brown. Also just a learning experience about sea slugs. Sea slug is another name for nudibranch, and essentially all nudibranchs die in the home aquarium over time as theyre usually obligate consumers of 1 or MAYBE 2 things. People do buy them as decor for a few months though, so lfs sometimes stock them (though I think it's a little messed up).

Don't trust anyone at your LFS but the 60 year old you see there every time you go who doesn't talk to anyone or usually even buy anything. That person knows everything lol.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selling only Saltwater fish, inverts, and coral at a niche store I guess I had higher expectations. Selling an animal that they also don't have food for knowing it will starve and die kinda puts it in the I don't want to do business with you again boat... Im not complaining about them (not like I name dropped them) I was asking for advice. I run my own business and go above and beyond if somthing isn't right. Sadly I am normally disapointed on how other small businesses handle things most of the time.

1709765569606.png

Sorry for the dirty glass
Dont have a picture of the nudi I'm sure it'll be out tonight if it hasn't kicked the bucket yet.
(here is a google pic)
1709766275826.png

Thank you!

I normally do google as it's hard to plan a head when there stock is constantly changing. Guess I need to start using Google glass where you can search using a camera photo instead of the tags.
Gorgeous Tang.
I’d pay $200 for such a nice specimen

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats for sure a powder brown! I used to not like these tangs at all being brown and all, but I got sent one as a replacement for a red sea sailfin that died in transit from a store online. They sent me him. At first I was so mad but then looking at him I was like he is actually gorgeous!

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You did Quarantine this Tang, correct? I added a PBT a couple of years ago to a well stocked tank. 8 weeks later they all 18 fish were dead within 24 hours. I've quarantined ever since. Powder blues and browns are velvet magnets.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back