Advice on marine velvet

KernanTurtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased an orange spotted goby and neglected to qt first (yes I understand why it’s important and the lesson has been learned!). The other fish I had in the tank were a purple dottyback, yellow tang and two clowns. All except the goby got velvet and have died. I would like to move the goby to the at tank to treat but am not able to catch it. I have an anemone that is in my rock in a way that he will be completely dismantled to take the rock out and try to catch the goby. The goby shows no symptoms of lethargy and it’s hard to tell if he is pale since he is white already. This is why I think I may have missed it to start with. If I leave it in the dt will it ever die off or do I absolutely have to move the goby to qt and treat?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your loss!
Unfortunately, if positive that it was velvet you will have to run your tank fallow 20+ days, I believe longer after reading some people have recurring infections. I'm not sure if gobies may have immunity but any fish can act as an asymptomatic carrier, possibly allowing the cycle to continue indefinitely. You could try a fw dip when you catch it to see if anything falls off. Ideally using a small transparent plastic container against a dark background. Though I have to say in my personal experience with my far from 20/20 eyesight it's always been a struggle to spot with a naked eye, may want to treat to be safe.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased an orange spotted goby and neglected to qt first (yes I understand why it’s important and the lesson has been learned!). The other fish I had in the tank were a purple dottyback, yellow tang and two clowns. All except the goby got velvet and have died. I would like to move the goby to the at tank to treat but am not able to catch it. I have an anemone that is in my rock in a way that he will be completely dismantled to take the rock out and try to catch the goby. The goby shows no symptoms of lethargy and it’s hard to tell if he is pale since he is white already. This is why I think I may have missed it to start with. If I leave it in the dt will it ever die off or do I absolutely have to move the goby to qt and treat?
Unfortunately you have to move all fish over to qt and treat. Otherwise it's a ticking time bomb as it'll come back and potentially wipe out all your fish. You'll want to qt and treat, and leave your tank fishless for 6 weeks to ensure the velvet dies off.

OP
OP
K

KernanTurtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your loss!
Unfortunately, if positive that it was velvet you will have to run your tank fallow 20+ days, I believe longer after reading some people have recurring infections. I'm not sure if gobies may have immunity but any fish can act as an asymptomatic carrier, possibly allowing the cycle to continue indefinitely. You could try a fw dip when you catch it to see if anything falls off. Ideally using a small transparent plastic container against a dark background. Though I have to say in my personal experience with my far from 20/20 eyesight it's always been a struggle to spot with a naked eye, may want to treat to be safe.

Thank you!

OP
OP
K

KernanTurtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately you have to move all fish over to qt and treat. Otherwise it's a ticking time bomb as it'll come back and potentially wipe out all your fish. You'll want to qt and treat, and leave your tank fishless for 6 weeks to ensure the velvet dies off.

This was my fear. I’m going to have to dismantle the rock and catch the goby. I just hate to disturb the anemone. He’s incredibly happy where he is. Thanks for the advice.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back