Advice on new purchase

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With maybe an 8 bulb array in a shallow tank... but generally recommended to go with MH or LED. Not really me speaking but probably the foremost expert on clams in the hobby.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With maybe an 8 bulb array in a shallow tank... but generally recommended to go with MH or LED. Not really me speaking but probably the foremost expert on clams in the hobby.
Grew plenty of clams with 4 bulbs just fine and I'd prefer T5 over led if given a choice so we can agree to disagree. Led, T5 and halides will grow clams long term.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If do decide to check my par someday what would be a good range for the clam?
Depending on the clam really. I've seen derasa grow fine with 150-180 par but they can handle more. Squamosa can handle a wide range but I wouldn't go less than 250. Maxima and crocea require quite a bit of par.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the clam really. I've seen derasa grow fine with 150-180 par but they can handle more. Squamosa can handle a wide range but I wouldn't go less than 250. Maxima and crocea require quite a bit of par.
Eventually I'd like to add some radions to my tank but for now I have an edge led with the 4 t5s I have. I mainly rely on the edge for a little extra color. All 4 t5s are giesemann actinic bulbs

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run 2 coral plus and actinic blue (not pure actinic) in a 4 bulb fixture. It's a whiter look but provides better spectrum IMO
I just might do that, the only hurdle I have is sneaking them in the house so my wife doesn't know I spent more money on my tank. She's already mad at me for buying the clam

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DSC reef one more question- I have the clam up higher in the tank and so far he seems happy. This morning I saw one of my tuxedo urchins on him and now that I'm home it looks like there's a little bit of damage to his mantle where the urchin was at. Since I'm still a clam newbie I was wondering if it's anything that I need to be concerned about

20190328_160838.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back