Advice on Nitrate & Phosphate

MVsea1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers..have a reefer 525 (140gl) that’s been up and running for a little over 2 months now. Started it with ocean live rock from the Fl keys. At first had decent nitrate and phosphate readings but now I’m struggling to get any nitrate readings at all. Phos is at .03. Concerned this could eventually lead to a Dinos outbreak. My bio-load is pretty small right but will go adding little by little.

- 6 blue/green chromis
- 2 Chalk bass
- Bengai cardinals

My question is this..should I start dosing some nitrate (neonitro) to bring up my nitrates? Or wait it out and let the tank do its thing? Hoping with adding livestock it will eventually solve itself but don’t want to take a chance with Dinos. This is the whole reason I decided on ocean live rock vs dry rock! Are nitrates being consumed faster than the testing can pick up? Don’t have a fuge - just a skimmer and Red Sea fleece roller. Maybe my filtration is too efficient right now for the bio load?
IMG_0282.jpeg

IMG_0283.png

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you currently do not have corals, I would leave it alone until you finish stocking. As tank ages and fills up it will start to stabilize. Where those numbers will be who knows. I have two tanks that’s are ULNS despite heavy feeding and no filtration other than a skimmer. Sometimes it just works out that way and you have to end up dosing.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above. New tanks always experience this. I had to double dose neophos and neonitro for multiple months before things stabilized. Get more fish in there. Feed heavy. If no corals leave lights off first 3 or 4 months to allow tank to develop biodiversity and microfauna before you start to add corals and lights.

OP
OP
MVsea1

MVsea1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you currently do not have corals, I would leave it alone until you finish stocking. As tank ages and fills up it will start to stabilize. Where those numbers will be who knows. I have two tanks that’s are ULNS despite heavy feeding and no filtration other than a skimmer. Sometimes it just works out that way and you have to end up dosing.
Thanks, yes not so much worried about it coral-wise since I don’t have any yet like you said. My concern is getting a dino outbreak. Happened in my last tank because I ran it too clean and was an absolute nightmare. Trying to avoid that this time around.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yes not so much worried about it coral-wise since I don’t have any yet like you said. My concern is getting a dino outbreak. Happened in my last tank because I ran it too clean and was an absolute nightmare. Trying to avoid that this time around.

Not sure if this will make you feel better but one of my tanks runs <3ppm nitrate and <27ppb phosphorus. It bounces off 0 for both numbers if I don’t remember to increase dosing pumps periodically. It gets a dino outbreak maybe once a year but I can clear it in 3-4 days max. So sure I have that to deal with, but I also haven’t changed the water in 3+ years. Just part of the hobby. You’re gonna put in the time and grief somewhere.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice scape. I would increase bioload adding some more fish and invertebrates, some easy corals, increasing feeding with protein rich food and definitely adding CUC to help with the ugly stage.

OP
OP
MVsea1

MVsea1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this will make you feel better but one of my tanks runs <3ppm nitrate and <27ppb phosphorus. It bounces off 0 for both numbers if I don’t remember to increase dosing pumps periodically. It gets a dino outbreak maybe once a year but I can clear it in 3-4 days max. So sure I have that to deal with, but I also haven’t changed the water in 3+ years. Just part of the hobby. You’re gonna put in the time and grief somewhere.
No it doesn’t make me feel better lol. But yea, agreed.

OP
OP
MVsea1

MVsea1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice scape. I would increase bioload adding some more fish and invertebrates, some easy corals, increasing feeding with protein rich food and definitely adding CUC to help with the ugly stage.
Thank you. Yes, def going to increase bio load. Slowly. The tang gang is coming!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers..have a reefer 525 (140gl) that’s been up and running for a little over 2 months now. Started it with ocean live rock from the Fl keys. At first had decent nitrate and phosphate readings but now I’m struggling to get any nitrate readings at all. Phos is at .03. Concerned this could eventually lead to a Dinos outbreak. My bio-load is pretty small right but will go adding little by little.

- 6 blue/green chromis
- 2 Chalk bass
- Bengai cardinals

My question is this..should I start dosing some nitrate (neonitro) to bring up my nitrates? Or wait it out and let the tank do its thing? Hoping with adding livestock it will eventually solve itself but don’t want to take a chance with Dinos. This is the whole reason I decided on ocean live rock vs dry rock! Are nitrates being consumed faster than the testing can pick up? Don’t have a fuge - just a skimmer and Red Sea fleece roller. Maybe my filtration is too efficient right now for the bio load?
IMG_0282.jpeg

IMG_0283.png
I am looking closely at the rock surfaces and I possibly see algae growth. By upping your nutrients, you will be feeding that stuff. I am guessing the current algae growth and bright lights are behind the depleted nitrate. If you are patient, hold off adding anything more to the aquarium until to resolve this tug of war of dose and feed algae vs no dose and fear dinos.

By the way I have a school of green Chromos and keep them happy by feeding them several times a day. Each feeding is about 0.3 mL of brine shrimp and Mysis shrimp. My dose of food is based on how much food is required to change their response to food from crazed, rapid eating to just slowly eating. Never experienced aggression in two years.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you use for dosing nitrates? neonitro?
Neonitro works great but can get expensive in comparison to a diy mix. I use loudwolf calcium nitrate but most people use sodium nitrate I believe. For me, the calcium increase is negligible. Neophos is also good but again I diy with loudwolf trisodium phosphate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you use for dosing nitrates? neonitro?

I personally would never give my business to Brightwell since they mislead consumers with false information.

You can buy food grade sodium nitrate, calcium nitrate, and sodium phosphate for much lower cost than the expensive Brightwell products that lack any purity assurance..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back