Advice on resealing needed

DopamineKata

Beltalowda
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a used 100g tank that needs resealed which shouldn't be a big deal. It has euro bracing on the top and some sort of extra glass border around the inside of the bottom,that I think is just there to protect the corners down there. Since I don't know what it is called it's hard to find any info on it.

After (mostly) cleaning the tank and blacking out the bottom it became clear that salt and crud had creeped in between that bottom border and the bottom of the tank. I think I should remove that border and clean all the crud, seal the tank, then put that back in place and seal around it but I'm not sure if it's safe to remove it without damaging the tank...

Any ideas / suggestions on how to deal with this?

E3LT50s.jpg zzwOuVC.jpg

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuff question id almost say that they may have been added to stop a leak. Removing can proof difficult but not impossible. Looks like they were added after the tank was made. Judging from what looks like black silicone. If I were you I'd leave everything in place, pickup a silicone/caulk removal tool and scrap all the edges and corners. Then razor blade them to remove as much as possible. And reseal the heck out of it. Should be good for another 20 years after that, good luck!

OP
OP
DopamineKata

DopamineKata

Beltalowda
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuff question id almost say that they may have been added to stop a leak. Removing can proof difficult but not impossible. Looks like they were added after the tank was made. Judging from what looks like black silicone. If I were you I'd leave everything in place, pickup a silicone/caulk removal tool and scrap all the edges and corners. Then razor blade them to remove as much as possible. And reseal the heck out of it. Should be good for another 20 years after that, good luck!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure both that and the euro bracing were added by the original owner after purchase. The euro bracing has silicone all over the outside of the bracing and partway down the tank.

I'm just worried that if I don't get the crud out from between them it will cause issues.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have and elos 70 (50g ish) that the front has a seam leak... Following as i would like to attpt to fix it an use it as an end stage QT
Its a tuff one when the seem leaks as it has to be disassembled and then resealed alot of the time. I read somewhere that the majority of the strength in the from the seal is the part in between the the glass panes and not the bead of silicone in the corner. If that makes sense,

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 68 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back