Advice on Skimmer

Imran Sid’s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

Preparing my Black Friday list. I have gone through over and under skimming articles and there issues which made me little confused. Hence I would like you suggestion on finalizing on the Skimmer.

Few details
My Tank : 55 Gallon (One year old system)
Sump : 12 In X 12 In Space availability ( Using Cheto in another Sump Section)
Bio Load : 2 Clown (Small),2 Damsels(Small), 2 Cardinal(Small) and 1 Yellow Tang (Medium).
Feeding : Small amount in twice a day.
Water Change: 5-10 % bi weekly.

After going through various brands of Skimmer and different type (Space saver etc).

I have narrow down to skimmer "Somatic 90S SPACE SAVING PROTEIN SKIMMER" based on the features and quality of pump.

Please let me if some one is using this or else please suggest another skimmers which

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have zero info on your choice but ai do have a suggestion on one.
I’m not a fan of the space saver options as they sacrifice performance for space savings there for here’s the link to two of them I would highly recommend and both will fit in the space you have. I’m sure everyone will agree that it’s best to get a Skimmer rated at least twice the volume you have.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-classic-110-4-in-sump-protein-skimmer.html
Or
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-classic-150int-6-internal-protein-skimmer.html

OP
OP
I

Imran Sid’s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After advice from Hitman i revisited the skimmer type and found on BRS the Vertex 150 is on sale which has similar spec as RO Classic 150 INT.

So can anybody tell me how is the performance of this as i read of breaking of the needle wheel often on this skimmer.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both kinds skimmers. I found the Vertex 130 and 150 to be junk when compared to other skimmers. You can also do better than a Reef Octopus, but I feel that they are better than the Vertex in my tanks.

You did not mention a budget, but most Skimz will do better than either of those, but the cost more. LifeReef will skim better too, but again cost more.

I have never heard of Somatic, but looking at the specs, it looks promising. I think that Sicce pumps are good skimmer pumps - Reef Octopus was better when they used Sicce pumps instead of the current models. I hate pumps being inside of the skimmer since that takes away contact space, but I guess that there is no way around this with a small chamber. It might be good, but I have no personal experience.

OP
OP
I

Imran Sid’s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks JDA, which one of Skimz do you think suit my tank

I am learning in this hobby buy the right stuff i very important, so i would be able to increase budget little and buy now if too costly then Save and buy in future.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure about which size... sorry. I have large tanks and only use large, proven skimmers. If I had a 55G tank, I would buy an ASM G2 or G3 if it would fit... they have been kicking butt for a 15 years. Some people don't think that they are "cool" since they have been around and don't have any useless/trendy stuff like bubble plates or cones.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back