Advice on tank build

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to takle building an aquarium. After searching around for exactly what i want, i just cant justify the price tag. Im very handy and build things all the time, so i think i can do it. I have built a sump for my current setup, but havent attempted something on this scale before.

My plan is to build a 48x24x20 glass tank. I plan to use 1/2" glass with black silicone seams. I plan to add a euro brace to the top for added support. I want 3 veiwing sides in low iron. I have priced the glass through glass cages, and i can buy the materials for less than half of what i can have it built for.

Any tank builders care to share some advice with me? I am pretty ocd and plan to make this thing a show piece.

OP
OP
C

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That video was definitely helpful. I have watched several videos and this method seems to be the fastest method for sure. The concern i have here is it would appear there is no control over how the seems will look visually. In other words, it would be very unlikely to get nice crisp straight seems using this method. Perhaps i could use fine line tape on the glass where i want the edges to be and then just pull the tape once the tank is assembled and the silicone is still wet?

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never built a tank. But I've done quite a bit of caulking, so here's a couple tips.

Painters tape will work, however, you have to be sure to get the edges of the bead flat against the glass or the the tape will leave an ugly rib of caulk when you remove it.

Keep your finger wet when you're tooling each joint. I usually just lick my finger when in the field. Seen some kick butt professional caulkers use water with a little dish soap to keep the caulk from sticking to thier fingers/tools.

Dont lay out more than one seam before tooling. After a couple minutes exposed to air, silicone will start to skin up, making a nice smooth tooled bead impossible.

Good luck, hope some of this helps.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to the custom aquariums website they have a how aquariums are made video that shows their process. They seem to have a good method that employs spacing, taping, and clamping the entire tank together before applying silicone.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Practice your seams, then once you think ya have it down. Do it again. Each time you will learn something. Tape can be your best friend or not. Be sure to practice in all directions that you might be appling silicone. Most important is spotlessly clean glass and structural silicone.

OP
OP
C

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to the custom aquariums website they have a how aquariums are made video that shows their process. They seem to have a good method that employs spacing, taping, and clamping the entire tank together before applying silicone.

This is more along the lines of what i had already been seeing. I have some clamps that will hold the panels perfectly at 90 degrees. Im a little curious about the spacers though. They dont appear to come out during the process, so do they just leave them in there? I would think this would create weak spots.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That video was definitely helpful. I have watched several videos and this method seems to be the fastest method for sure. The concern i have here is it would appear there is no control over how the seems will look visually. In other words, it would be very unlikely to get nice crisp straight seems using this method. Perhaps i could use fine line tape on the glass where i want the edges to be and then just pull the tape once the tank is assembled and the silicone is still wet?

If you order plans from his web site, you will receive a detailed booklet that discusses seams and other details. Basically, carefully wiping the seam with your wet finger is recommended, as is adding additional bead of silicone after the tank is taped up.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is more along the lines of what i had already been seeing. I have some clamps that will hold the panels perfectly at 90 degrees. Im a little curious about the spacers though. They dont appear to come out during the process, so do they just leave them in there? I would think this would create weak spots.

Spacers are a bit of a mystery for me for tanks that are just made of glass. I know in many tanks spacers are left in as only a few are needed on each seam to prevent all of the silicone from being squeezed out of the bonding area. As far as I know they do not cause an issue with the structural bonding or water seal since there are only a few of them required on each bonding surface. On my plywood tanks I left spacers in place as they were positioned in the middle of the seal and did not pose a risk of creating weak spots as only a few were used. What I always thought would be helpful is a chart that shows what size spacer is needed for different size tanks but I have not seen or researched this aspect of making tanks out of just glass. I have not built a tank out of just glass yet.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back