Advice on tank height..

ReefdudeAdam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys & girls,

im after some advice .. custom build is being ordered.. finalising a few things..

Because this is an in wall build, the wife said I couldn’t have a panel at the front to access.. I’ve since changed her mind thank goodness. My question is, how little is too little space from tank to ceiling? I’d like my tank to be 4.5 ft from floor to top of tank. Leaving me 1.5ft to the ceiling..

should I drop the tank lower and give myself more room?? I’ll have access from the front and from the back in sump room..

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.5' should be plenty of access room. As far as lowering the tank it depends on how you will be viewing it and your height. If you will be standing I would not lower it at all. If you will be sitting and nothing is in the way you might want to lower it just a bit.
My current tank is 70" to the top. For me at 6'2" it is perfect. My last tank was 12" lower over all and I was always bending or tilting my head to see it when up close. Current stand is 40" tall and tank is 30 tall" That or sitting on the arm of our love seat, which my ex hated me doing. She refused to let me turn it facing the tank. My new tank is perfect sitting or standing.
Wide angle shot.
20210328_124913.jpg

Normal view.
20201218_125753.jpg

OP
OP
R

ReefdudeAdam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot. Great response & the tank looks great!!
Stand will be 32” (ish) tall & tank 25” tall.
im 6ft and it will be viewed from sat at a breakfast bar or standing in the kitchen

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I can see my tank from the dining room pretty well also. If I want to observe closer I sit sideways on the other sofa. I still need to do something to block the LEDs from view.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back