Advice to fix EB8

badstraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I hooked up a new pm2 module and ORP probe to my apex, everything worked fine for a few hours and all of it sudden I noticed that there was a burnt smell coming from the aquabus ports on the EB8.
Now my display won’t turn on and there are no lights coming out of the base unit, just the regular orange light on the EB8.

I'm out of warranty so I would like to try to fix it myself. I even tried to connect the base unit to another EB8 and it's working.

Should I replace the diodes D8-D9 on the back? the tracks look damaged... Also there is a capacitor on the other side of the pcb, and the pad has no solder on it.

I'd appreciate any input.

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

Last edited:

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could order new diodes, which is what D8 and d9 is, but can you get a close-up of the other side where that solder point melted?

OP
OP
badstraw

badstraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a hard time to remove the PCB from the upper part of the enclosure.

OP
OP
badstraw

badstraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 pins on each outlet that I need to depress so that it can release the whole thing, but I have to do it to all 8 outlets at the same time because otherwise it seems that it wouldn't release the top cover.

Any ideas?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back