Advise on adding diversity

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys,

I could use some suggestions. My tank is turning 6 months old and its starting to really take shape! Im finally nailing down the rhythm of the tank and im seeing results! The rock in the tank came from my first tank that was running for about a year and was quickly transferred to the new set up. So you could say my rock has been “alive” for about 18 months. Back when i set up the first tank i added some tisbe pods from podyourreef. They are well establish still in my new tank now but thats about it. Whenever i buy frags i dip them and i see these great looking pods that fall off and die :( i have none of those in my tank. Can anybody suggest what i can safely add to get a nice mix going in my tank? Id like to see some diversity!

Thanks!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's various different ways of adding diversity, it just depends on what you're willing to accept. Live rock taken directly from the ocean will give you the most diversity, but with the good comes the bad.

Copepods, amphipods and good isopods can be purchased. They will be your "safer" bet.

Rock from other hobbyist can yield diversity, as long as they don't have pests/parasites.

The other way to look at it is at the microscopic level. Different strains of bacteria help as well. Once again, live rock directly from the ocean and again the greatest chance of pests come with it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back