AEFW's Worst Nightmare - Purge V2

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to see AEFW's drop like flies within your tank? After many months of refining our formula, testing, refining, testing.. We are confident that our Purge V2 in tank treatment will 100% rid your aquarium of AEFW's. Our new formula is super saturated and treats 900 gallons per bottle total. While being much stronger, this formula is very gentle on the corals while absolutely annihilating the AEFW's. This is not a formula that breaks the cycle and you wait for the worms to die off and phase out. This is a formula that nukes the worms and you wait for the remaining eggs to hatch and then you treat again.

Remove protein skimmer cup and let protein skimmer overflow into sump
Remove activated carbon
Monitor alkalinity and adjust as needed
Monitor nutrients and adjust as needed
Turn off UV sterilizer during treatment
Blow off AEFW's from corals with small pump right after dosing tank with Purge. If possible, blow off corals with small pump one or two more times during the week

Day 1 - Dose 5ml's per every 10 gallons of system water
Day 7 - Dose 5ml's per every 10 gallons of system water
Day 14 - Dose 5ml's per every 10 gallons of system water
Day 21 - Dose 5ml's per every 10 gallons of system water
Day 35 - Dose 5ml's per every 10 gallons of system water
Day 49 - (If Needed ) Dose 5ml's per every 10 gallons of system water

We have a few users on this site that have used Purge V2 that will chime in with their experiences. For now, Purge V2 is not for sale. We are looking for another handful of R2R users that have AEFW's that would like to see the power of V2 and document their experiences for everyone to see. If you would like to be one of these people, please reach out to me directly by PM.

purge 1.JPG

purge 6.jpg

purge 2.JPG

Last edited:

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any AEF's, but I'm curious: while your product may be "gentle" on corals, it's the toxins from large AEF die-offs that would be my biggest concern. Does this kill a lot of them at once, or is this a slower die-off product?

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this be used as a dip if it were more concentrated and for much less time?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't have any AEF's, but I'm curious: while your product may be "gentle" on corals, it's the toxins from large AEF die-offs that would be my biggest concern. Does this kill a lot of them at once, or is this a slower die-off product?
recommended when killing them chemically to siphon tank daily to avoid toxins. Adding high grade carbon will help with toxin risk also.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
recommended when killing them chemically to siphon tank daily to avoid toxins. Adding high grade carbon will help with toxin risk also.
Agreed, but the post said to remove carbon. It wasn't clear if that was for the entire treatment schedule or just initial dosing.

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AEFW’s do not release toxins like red planaria flatworms do. They are totally different :)

Could this be used as a dip if it were more concentrated and for much less time?

We already have a dip called Expel that is used by many of the big dogs in the industry... BattleCorals, Jason Fox, Mike Paletta just to name a few :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agreed, but the post said to remove carbon. It wasn't clear if that was for the entire treatment schedule or just initial dosing.
The carbon is done after siphoning and AEFW are gone. It will remove treatment if added sooner

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used this new formula and I have to say it's worked wonders for me. I think the key here is that it's gentle on my corals and the high concentration/effectiveness allows me to do continuous treatments to ensure I broke the cycle (new eggs hatching, etc).

I did 6 weekly treatments, took 1 week off and did one half dose just to be sure.

My tank is 350 gallons, I had tackled AEFW with their previous product but didn't treat long enough and eggs eventually made it past. I was treating my tank daily with FWS which allowed my corals to grow and thrive even with AEFW present (some corals completely recovered and AEFW would not attack them).

I reached out to UWC because I noticed AEFW were starting to increase in my tank, I started using this and after week 2 I noticed my population was almost completely gone with this new formula. I have an SPS dominant system and did not lose any corals in the process. The biggest thing I noticed was that my colors slightly faded but I am also having issues keeping phosphate in the tank and most likely that was the culprit.

Today my tank is as vibrant as ever, no losses and even basting my corals 2-3 times weekly I have yet to find a single one. I currently have a tri-color in my tank which is usually the prime target of AEFW and it always seemed to have a few on them. I noticed the growth took off (it's in a temp spot just as bait for AEFW) and I have to move it soon because it's encrusting like crazy atm because it's finally free of worms after years.

I really like this new formula, it's not harsh at all...much less "thick" and have not had a single issue with it. I will keep my fingers crossed in the event an egg made it through but it's been months since my 2nd week of dosing and I still see nothing.

The good news is that this product is so concentrated I can dose a few times in the future EVEN IF a single worm made it through. At the very least this is a good tool as a maintenance in keeping these things in check. I personally will keep flatworm stop dosing due to it's effect on my SPS PE and color and recommend it as a recovery in the event AEFW did a number on your SPS corals.

I would rate my experience with this 10/10. It's really been great for me and I did NOT want to rip $1,000's of dollars worth of colonies out of my display.

Some side notes:

My tank sucks up alk, I have a massive GEO CR818 reactor that can barely keep up and didn't notice any major effects on alk. I did notice that consumption did go up but I think that's due to the worms no longer attacking my SPS and they all seemed to hit growth spurts.

Po4: tough to judge, in the past with the old formula I noticed a spike but not with this stuff but I do recommend siphoning the sand bed.

Skimmer: I kept my skimmer off 48 hours after each treatment, kept filter socks in place and turned off my activated carbon during the full 7 weeks. (I used coral snow on day 6 of each treatment just to clean up organics).

Last edited:

BamaReefer123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been battling AEFW's for quite awhile. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a few bottles of Purge 2 and thankfully I did. I have been dosing this product for two weeks now and I can say that I have seen a tremendous change in my tank, these dreaded AEFW's are dying fast.

So I have a 210 gallon tank. Very simple. I have full SPS, except for a few higher end mushrooms. I can say that I didn't have any issues with any of my corals so far. They have actually started to heal. As far as my parameters, I saw zero change.

I have to say, two weeks into this, all I can say is wow. I will post again after I am complete with dosing. Now just have to get some Expel for dipping so when I am done eradicating these AEFW's, I can stick up on more high end acro's.

Thanks UWC for this game changer.

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear! Keep us updated on your progress :)

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Michael Paletta is also trying the treatment on his system for Monti Eating Nudis. Here is what he has said so far..

" I tried the AEFW cure to try and get rid of Monti eating nudis and so far so good. After 2 dosings in my 120 full of montis I am no longer seeing the white patches. I will does again this week to get rid of any more that have hatched. I did not do anything else so I am hopeful that this did indeed kill them, but since I did not see any bodies I can't say definitively that it worked, but I did not see any stress on the corals as I did on the previous treatment."

I recommended to him after his email that he treats the system for at least 5 weeks, just to be sure. I will continue to follow up with him and update this thread :)

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Michael Paletta is also trying the treatment on his system for Monti Eating Nudis. Here is what he has said so far..

" I tried the AEFW cure to try and get rid of Monti eating nudis and so far so good. After 2 dosings in my 120 full of montis I am no longer seeing the white patches. I will does again this week to get rid of any more that have hatched. I did not do anything else so I am hopeful that this did indeed kill them, but since I did not see any bodies I can't say definitively that it worked, but I did not see any stress on the corals as I did on the previous treatment."

I recommended to him after his email that he treats the system for at least 5 weeks, just to be sure. I will continue to follow up with him and update this thread :)

This is fantastic news! Have you had the chance to check it on red planaria or other types of planaraia? Do we have a rough estimate on price?

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have not tested it on any planaria, but Mike wanted to give it a try and seems to be working just as well on MEN’s. I’m sure we’ll here some reports from people that have both AEFW’s and red planaria at some point. We will also run some tests ourselves :)

Once on the market, Price will be $29.99 and one bottle treats 900 total US gallons.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We have not tested it on any planaria, but Mike wanted to give it a try and seems to be working just as well on MEN’s. I’m sure we’ll here some reports from people that have both AEFW’s and red planaria at some point. We will also run some tests ourselves :)

Once on the market, Price will be $29.99 and one bottle treats 900 total US gallons.
Wow thats a great price!

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this has been answered but how is it on invertebrates (mainly cleaner shrimp). I have not used the currently available options as I've seen many examples where the coral and fish did fine but not the shrimp even though deemed safe and all the toxin removal measures taken. That said they are relatively easy to remove temporarily during treatment.

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will not affect your cleaner shrimp or other invertebrates :)

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the update! You guys have a great product on your hands! It's saved me in a huge way.

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always great to hear! :)

GrouperBait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a bottle today. I have had aefw since last fall, and I’ve used FWS with great success. Corals are growing but aefws remain. I’m not buying any more acros til they are all gone so I decided to give this a try. Today is day one. Wish me luck.

Also, does anyone know if you’re supposed to turn off UV? I haven’t seen anything about that anywhere.
And I’m not sure if I have a low or high infestation....is there any harm in doing the high dose just in case?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back