AF calcium and alkalinity tests vs Salifert...either one better?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time has come to buy new alk and calcium tests and I'm trying to decide between trying Salifert or AF...i currently use AF for alk and Red Sea for calcium but have a feeling the Red Sea test is a little off (it ALWAYS reads low ~380 even though my salt mix should be more like 420 and i don't have too many corals in the tank so I'm gonna switch calcium to either Salifert or AF...I've never used Salifert for either though...anyone have preferences between these two brands for calcium and alk?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, they're all fairly close. Hanna checkers are probably the most accurate (but also more expensive). For titration tests I like Nyos.
Thanks for the reply...i decided to go with AF since they're supposed to be lab certified...I'd love to try Nyos but the price is a good bit higher and since you said they're all fairly close i think I'll just stick with AF since i like a number of their products (not gonna lie though, part of it's they're marketing) and i have a wide variety of their products available here to choose from reliably

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best test kits are the ones you'll use... If you're not happy with the ones you've tried already, then look for a new brand.
I agree...that's why I'm switching from Red Sea calcium to a different brand...i was curious though if anyone had made a comparison perhaps with an ICP test to assess accuracy or if there seemed to be a general consensus that one is more accurate or easier to read...for example the AF nitrate test kit is a little bit more tedious of a process than others and I can't imagine it's much more accurate so i wouldn't get it again

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 114 58.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.6%
Back