afboundguy's 35 cube/display fuge/mangrove build thread!!!

Tackled a little bit of the wire/tubing management under the sump. Started with the 3-part dosing lines and phyto dosing lines. Had a bunch of cheapo sticky clips that I used and looks much better!
PXL_20260322_133552531.jpg
PXL_20260322_143038496.jpg
PXL_20260322_133556293.jpg
PXL_20260322_133554654.jpg
PXL_20260322_143040839.jpg
 
A wise reefer told me black dosing lines would look better and man was he right! Took the time to redo the dosing lines to black and it looks much better! Still have a few dosing lines I need to swap out but I might just put plastic wire line around them!
PXL_20260323_200147156.jpg
 
I couldn't get the dosing pumps to work consistently with the black line so I kept the colored lines but will add the black corrugated wire on them.
PXL_20260323_200149409.jpg
 
I also found some Velcro sticky tabs and used them to run the wires on the vertical support extrusion.
PXL_20260323_192555901.jpg
PXL_20260323_192614717.jpg
PXL_20260323_192716217.jpg
 
I also found some Velcro sticky tabs and used them to run the wires on the vertical support extrusion.
PXL_20260323_192555901.jpg
PXL_20260323_192614717.jpg
PXL_20260323_192716217.jpg
 
Also used a spare piece of PVC board for the backing of the smaller controller board. I was going to paint it black but actually like the white. I did paint the end as that being white stuck out like a sore thumb when walking down into the basement!
PXL_20260323_135357968.jpg
PXL_20260323_135452523.jpg
PXL_20260323_135400942.jpg
PXL_20260323_135454718.jpg
 
Mounted some LED lights and made it a reef sticker board!!!
PXL_20260323_150321953.jpg
PXL_20260323_150323486.jpg
PXL_20260323_150413323.jpg
 
Also finally was able to get the Hydros wifi strip to work and plugged some stuff in and labeled them! Plan to hook up the other one tomorrow and leave at least one on 24/7 and free for a constant outlet just in case!
PXL_20260323_153653248.jpg
 
Finished off covering the colored wires today! Then I noticed my refugium light wasn't working! Ended up being a bad power supply and luckily I had a spare one kicking around that naturally wasn't the same length so I had to move the mounting around to allow it to reach the outlet! I even installed a float switch guard so it blends in!
PXL_20260324_131614632.jpg
PXL_20260324_131011548.jpg
PXL_20260324_131833187.jpg
 
Guess the rats nest of wires was so front and center I never realized how dirty the sump sides were so I did a quick wipe down.
PXL_20260324_122429015.jpg
PXL_20260324_123549573.jpg
PXL_20260324_122430797.jpg
PXL_20260324_123551362.jpg
 
So peaceful walking down the stairs and not seeing all those wires!!!
 
Made a drip pan for the water mixing station and emptied the two brute cans so I could install it as I was to dumb to install it before filling them up! Filled it with 5 gallons of water and no leak! Based on math it should hold 7-8 gallons.
PXL_20260324_155322933.jpg
PXL_20260325_175245134.jpg
PXL_20260325_183030601.jpg
 
Also was having issues with the Hydros iV alkalinity testing as it was off by as much as 2-3 dKh and this morning it was off by 4 dKh.

Got some great advice from the Hydros FB group and reinstalled the iV and bottle of reagent level with the X10 and that seemed to have done the trick! I also reinstalled all the dosing lines and snugged them up.
PXL_20260325_192747694.jpg
PXL_20260325_225132093.jpg
 
Also changed out all my RODI pre-filters and the 3 stage resin stages with a 3D printed resin funnel kit that made it much easier!!

Ironically I actually didn't need to change the mixed resin and anion resin as the cation was the one that was getting exhausted much faster but oh well!
PXL_20260325_185528789.jpg
 
Been a rough few days as a retired former coworker passed away unexpectedly and yesterday I woke up to the tank not running and overflowing! My best guess was even though I drilled multiple anti-siphon holes on both ends of the ATO line it filled the sump as the salinity dropped to 1.023.

Naturally I had yet to install the leak detectors and I did that yesterday. I also put the ATO pump in the old ATO reservoir that I was still using to top off the QT tank that still gets filled from the RODI brute. I figured it was another layer of redundancy.

I also set it up so I would get alerted even if my phone is on do not disturb mode...
PXL_20260326_134538509.jpg
PXL_20260326_140904019.jpg
PXL_20260326_140905364.jpg
PXL_20260326_140912673.jpg
 
On top of that the wife got me sick. She's a teacher so she's around germs all day long so I've been exhausted. I wasn't able to do much except update the sticker board and enjoy the mixing station for phyto! It was great I just filled each container with already made SW and then added pool shock to each container! Much easier than filling up bucket with RODI and then getting it up to correct salinity!
PXL_20260327_174659622.jpg
PXL_20260327_181116085.jpg
 
Only other thing I was able to do was make up a quick Hydros LED board made up of 3D printed letters and a 3D printed Boston Reefers Society (my local club) light!
PXL_20260327_171647577.jpg
PXL_20260327_171631663.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new