afboundguy's 35 cube/display fuge/mangrove build thread!!!

Thanks! I have this stuff (https://www.homedepot.com/pep/YICHU...M2h9H9uB-oEzcfIZgXEc2OgROeYpq0BxoCgpwQAvD_BwE) and right now I have the flat piece mounted on the back of the sump and plan to run all the wires through that.

For the controller board I plan to use zip ties and run all the cords either through the holes or just pull them up from the bottom as it's open.

I plan to add a back to the controller board that is at the end of the sump under the tank to close that up as well. Unfortunately wire management would be something that would alleviate a lot of stress/frustration every time I walk by the tank and see the mess (at least it's way better than it was!) and make things look awesome but I work 50-70+ hours a week so it's hard to prioritize it when everything is working when I have tons of other things to do that need to be done as normal maintenance 🥵
I feel that, well shoot it's looking good either way man
 
I had purchased a small fridge/freezer combo to try and consolidate the two fridges I have downstairs already with the promise or putting all my frozen food downstairs as well which wife was a fan of.

Spent longer than I thought it would have taken to redo the stand and adjust the 2020 extrusion pieces but happy so far. I decided to move the wine cooler that holds the white worms as well.
PXL_20260304_125835499.jpg
PXL_20260304_140505301.jpg
PXL_20260304_215118053.jpg
 
Well the cleanliness didn't last too long in the pursuit of progress!!!
PXL_20260311_164852775.jpg

I redid some of the shelving on the other side of the phyto/pod shelving unit to fit two brute trash cans for a mixing/AWC station.
PXL_20260309_131914550.jpg
 
Made a quick shelving unit to remove the plastic shelves in the long run and put the larger of the two fridges I had under there as all the phyto I keep in larger jars for pods and dosing wouldn't fit in the fridge/freezer combo I picked up.

Before
PXL_20260309_132421684.jpg


After. I did keep a few of the plastic shelves on top until I get around to finishing the rest. I did secure it to the side of the phyto/pod stand.
PXL_20260311_164932958.jpg
PXL_20260311_164915563.jpg
 
Hooked up a sensor to get room temperature and room humidity with a $10 chip with the Hydros on the breakout box. I can't get it to display anything except the numbers but still pretty cool. I also ordered a CO2 sensor to hook up down the road as well!
PXL_20260309_163603326.jpg
Screenshot_20260311-125541.png
 
Hooked up some OctoPulse 2 pumps to the Wave Engine and took out the DMP10 and SLW20 and set the programming to LPS reef with 5-10 minutes of nutrient export at night once lights go off. It will free up some space on the smaller controller board for some future ideas!
PXL_20260311_163317992.jpg
PXL_20260311_163323886.jpg
 
Setup my QT tank and cannibalized some Reef Breeder ATOs so I don't have to worry about evaporation. Eventually want to plumb in a 20'ish gallon tank to try and get the pair of Indigo dottybacks to breed and try and raise the fry with any luck! Right now it's between the DT and mangrove tank
PXL_20260311_163325810.jpg
 
Lastly tidied up the 3-part dosing pumps and attached them to the extrusion with some 3D printed holders thanks to a local member and it looks better! Not even close to done with wire/line management but progress is better than perfection!
PXL_20260311_153355332.jpg
PXL_20260311_153939423.jpg
PXL_20260311_153357613.jpg
PXL_20260311_153941789.jpg
 
Last project for the day was hooking back up the CO2 scrubber. I hooked it up yesterday but mounted it under the stand and ran the intake line up to a casement window. I haven't noticed daytime pH going up too much but noticed pH only dipped to 8.0 last night instead of the normal 7.8/7.9.
PXL_20260311_163334153.jpg
PXL_20260311_163336065.jpg
PXL_20260311_163338098.jpg
 
Had some time today to start with the mixing station that will also incorporate automatic water changes! Unfortunately the other BRS sent me the wrong uniseals (ordered 3/4" ones and the sent me 1/2" ones :mad:).

Luckily I'll get some new ones delivered by tomorrow and I need to get some unions for the CoralBox pump tomorrow so hopefully will get everything hooked up by Tues/Wed!!!

Put a T on so I can have a pipe to fill up SW for phyto/pods from the SW bin!
PXL_20260315_175507746.jpg
PXL_20260315_175509770.jpg
PXL_20260315_175513384.jpg
PXL_20260315_175510972.jpg
PXL_20260315_175516626.jpg
 
Plan to move the RODI to the shelving unit above where the mixing station will be and I ran some 1/4" tubing and zip tied it to the water softener drain line.
PXL_20260315_193807749.jpg
PXL_20260315_193806560.jpg
PXL_20260315_193809562.jpg
PXL_20260315_193815326.jpg
 
Moved the RODI unit to the shelving above where the mixing station will be. I also installed the Hydros TDS meters and the flush solenoids but had to take the flush solenoids off until I add the TDS sensors and flush solenoids to available ports. Right now I'm just making 5'ish gallons of water to test for leaks.

I have separate cation and anion resin canisters before it goes into a combined resin canister and I have a triple and dual HMS TDS monitor and with the Hydros I will be able to see/monitor the output water to shut off the system if it goes above 0 TDS and also have it flush the system every hour.
PXL_20260316_201358651.jpg
PXL_20260316_201359889.jpg
 
Hooked up a Hydros X4 to control the mixing station, automatic RODI flushing and TDS meter. I set it up to shut off the RODI if the TDS goes above 0 and the Hydros system automatically flushes for 60 seconds ever hour.
PXL_20260317_175511558.jpg
PXL_20260317_175509539.jpg
 
Glued up the plumbing for the mixing station outside since it was nice and then hooked it all up. It's currently filling up the fresh water tub and so far no leaks!
PXL_20260317_175454070.jpg
 
Hooked up a waste collector for the skimmer as well.
PXL_20260317_175346950.jpg
PXL_20260317_175349098.jpg
 
Got a nice surprise from Amazon when I went to pick up the first package they left on the porch and got two free clear boxes I was looking at to mount dosing pumps!

Then the second Amazon delivery came and I got a large one as well! Small ones will be for my DIY frozen feeder pumps and larger one will be for the two AWC pumps.
PXL_20260317_172417409.jpg
PXL_20260317_173154600.jpg
PXL_20260317_180008063.jpg
 
Was able to start the automatic water change with the free large box I received while trying to relax since I'm out of work for a few weeks due to an injury.

Tested them out a few times hooking them up to a Wyze smart plug before plugging them into Hydros to program it. Hydros has an automatic water change program that shuts off the ATO and uses the ATO top sensor and a low sensor to kick on the appropriate pump.
PXL_20260318_174254381.jpg
PXL_20260318_174256434.jpg
PXL_20260318_174301041.jpg
 
Mounted the AWC box today...
PXL_20260321_185017359.jpg
PXL_20260321_185019948.jpg
 
Then started the super fun task of tackling the very annoying wire management. No fun at all but it does look better once it's done but still boring. Was able to do a little this afternoon. Here are some before pictures.
PXL_20260321_185349877.jpg
PXL_20260321_185354394.jpg

Right before dinner break...
PXL_20260321_202245079.jpg
 
And was able to pretty much finish it after dinner! Just have the light's power cord and then under the sump. Huge improvement!
PXL_20260321_222623887.jpg
PXL_20260321_222627606.jpg
PXL_20260321_202250156.jpg
PXL_20260321_202254475.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new