affects if very high dkh

datguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
q1:At what level does dkh become a problem to fish, inverts, coral, and plants where die off will begin?

q2:What affect does dkh have upon fish, inverts, coral, and plants above 12 dkh?

q3:What can cause dkh to drop other than water changes or acid addition? Mg? Ca? CaCo?

I am looking to have a few quastions answered that I never found the answer to or nobody came close to the point of them. I am setting up a new tank, and kept a reef tank in the past. I started old, dry, clean live rock “dry rock” in a 10 gal a month ago, added it to my 29 gal and am cycling that for 2 weeks now. I started off with tap water, knowing I would change water between now and cycle finish. I added superbuffer dkh to level ph and added clearly too much. “should not have added in the first place” Well I tested the dkh and it didn’t change color after 45, nor at 55. Snowed in the tank like crazy. Pulled the water, cleaned the tank and equipment, and thought....wow how and why did I mess this up so baf. I quit and diluted the crap out of the water, leaving saved mixed water. Checked the 29 gal and dkh was testable again, but at 28....Checked calcium, and sure enough it bottomed out, so I added turbo calcium, cuz why not.....which isn’t supposed to work for lowering dkh, liquid apparently will, and point is over 48 hrs. Dkh went from 28 to 24 to 22 to 18 to 16 and I am just experimenting from here as calcium is now at 440 and the tank is still clear “no snow”. I am going to recheck dkh in a week or two since I know I need a 50% water change to even right my wrong before I can add any livestock, thank god I have patience. Now on to the actual questions which I will post at the top as well.

q1:At what leve does dkh become a problem to fish, inverts, coral, and plants where die off will begin?

q2:Why affect does dkh have upon fish, inverts, coral, and plants above 12 dkh?

q3:What can cause dkh to drop other than a water changes or acid addition? Mg? Ca? CaCo?

Final thought, I saw nothing on so many sites discussing or answering this about that parameter. I am going to assume that it affects by placing too many disolved solids in a solution to allow exchange of gasses and minerals within the livestock. I noted a few people with established tanks noting a dkh of up to 16 with little or no die off, so I assume although outside the high end of the 7-12 dkh scale a short spike in dkh to up to 16 may not be deadly. Thanks

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A side note: once your tank has live stock, swings in alk will effect them. You might not see it the same day, but it might pop up after a week or 2.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back