AFR accidental overdose advisement.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reign1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Reign1

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 12, 2022
Messages
709
Reaction score
721
Location
US
What state or country do you live in
New Mexico
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was adjusting my nightly Kalk dose (I do Kalk at night and AFR during day) on my apex Dos and accidentally reprogrammed the wrong side. I found that I had dosed 450ml AFR overnight in about 130gallon tank and caught it the next day.
Now I am dealing with the aftermath.
prior to this I was sitting around 8DKH. By the next evening (I was at work ) I was @ 10.1DKH.
I did a 10-15% water change to offset this .
This am I am sitting @ 11DKH. I plan on doing another WC this evening. I have of course turned off all dosing for now.
I may consider doing some muriatic acid if I get a steep rise as I am aware the ALK "bump" may still hit hard the next several days/week.
My main advise I am seeking is how long may I still see a sharp rise? Also If the main rise is going to hit where is best place to procure acid and amount to add.
Holding on for now ..
TIA
 
I'm basically a FOWLR guy, so of course you will get better advice from others on this... but 'partial water change'? "When the problem is pollution, the solution is dilution", no? Lol.
 
I think you’ll see the peak within 24 hrs. How do corals look?
looked fine first 10-15 hours. This am little less polyp extension on SPS (before lights on) water looked a little cloudy this but hard to tell with lights out.
 
The good-ish news is the AFR alk spike isn’t instant so perhaps the increase won’t be as stressful. I’d do water change you planned and then probably let it fall naturally to where you want it.

Acid is available from pool and some hardware stores. I know I’ve seen the dose in some threads so do a quick search. I would not personally add the acid to the tank because the alk and pH drop would be extra stress.
 
The good-ish news is the AFR alk spike isn’t instant so perhaps the increase won’t be as stressful. I’d do water change you planned and then probably let it fall naturally to where you want it.

Acid is available from pool and some hardware stores. I know I’ve seen the dose in some threads so do a quick search. I would not personally add the acid to the tank because the alk and pH drop would be extra stress.
Yeah I was hoping to find out what the ceiling of the ALK boost may be. I am only planning on going with acid if it goes really high.
I will do another WC today and I hope it may start dropping slowly
 
Yeah I was hoping to find out what the ceiling of the ALK boost may be. I am only planning on going with acid if it goes really high.
I will do another WC today and I hope it may start dropping slowly

It’s about 5.5 dKH.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new