African mudskipper

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 26, 2016
Messages
1,276
Reaction score
1,052
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased an African Mudskipper and he has been residing in a smaller 2.5 gallon aquarium while his larger tank is getting ready. He is surprisingly tame, he even lets me pick him up sometimes. His 30 gallon tank is looking great, a substrate consisting of a bottom level of large pebbles, then cheap aquarium sand used to make a base for the islands, with a covering of aragonite sand (for buffering). I have 5 mangroves coming in the mail, and a few places to plant them. I might add a molly or two, the water is only 2-3 inches though, so I'll see. I am still curious as to the cycling of a brackish aquarium, how long should I wait, also should I add some live sand from my reef tank, or will there be too much die-off and a waste spike?
 
Don't touch the sand lol. If your thinking of speeding up the cycle you can actually do more damage to both tanks. Especially if your sand hasn't been sifted it'll release gases and if you have enough released you can get an ammonia spike and do damage. Just test the water. Wait a couple of weeks. Make sure the nitrites have spiked and then turned into nitrates. Once you get the nitrates low enough you'll be good.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new