After a week of cycling Nitrates are really high 80ppm

maxpare79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Been cycling fw tanks for ever, first reef.

So it's been a week since I started cycling my new tank... Had around 3ppm of ammonia initially with bio spira and Dr. Tim one and only added as well.

Now ammonia is down to 0.5-1ppm, nitrites are between 2 and 5ppm and what worries me is the cycle is not even complete and Nitrates are at 80ppm! They were at 0 at the beginning of the cycle. Never had it go that high in my fw tanks. Any suggestions?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Been cycling fw tanks for ever, first reef.

So it's been a week since I started cycling my new tank... Had around 3ppm of ammonia initially with bio spira and Dr. Tim one and only added as well.

Now ammonia is down to 0.5-1ppm, nitrites are between 2 and 5ppm and what worries me is the cycle is not even complete and Nitrates are at 80ppm! They were at 0 at the beginning of the cycle. Never had it go that high in my fw tanks. Any suggestions?
Your nitrAte test is picking up the nitrIte. You’ll never get a good reading with nitrIte in the water.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change? I did a few during cycle just so I wouldn't have to do 100% at the end. Seems a bit high unless you've added more ammonia or had some organic decay. But all part of cycling.

jorwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it until ammonia is at 0 and nitrite is at 0 then do a water change. You should have no fish in there at the moment i'd guess. once you get 0 on those two and have done a good 50% water change I would add some ammonia again to see how quickly it goes to 0. You know it's cycled when ammonia is gone within 12hrs of testing. Then just do some gradual water changes to get the nitrate to near 0(5ppm) and you should be good for a few fish(1-3 size). GL

OP
OP
M

maxpare79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrAte test is picking up the nitrIte. You’ll never get a good reading with nitrIte in the water.
Since you said FW - if you're using API kits - they never show 0 ammonia.
Makes sense Garf, I guess I am a bit more nervous with a reef tank then I was with FW tanks so I might not have tested fw tank as much during cycle

@Quietman yes it's an API test but what I meant was Nitrates were at 0

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use api test kits it will never fully say your ammonia is at 0. My nitrite with api shows 0 everytime I test. My api tests always say that my nitrate is super high at like 80ppm but I got my water tested at a lfs and my nitrate was at 16ppm. Api is notorious for being wrong I would say let the tank cycle Atleast another 2 weeks and then do a water change.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use api test kits it will never fully say your ammonia is at 0. My nitrite with api shows 0 everytime I test. My api tests always say that my nitrate is super high at like 80ppm but I got my water tested at a lfs and my nitrate was at 16ppm. Api is notorious for being wrong I would say let the tank cycle Atleast another 2 weeks and then do a water change.
Agreed. Been there and done exactly that. Switched to Red Sea test kit after having our fish store test twice in comparison to API at home. Ammonia would never register 0 with API. Fish store confirmed 0 and so did/does this Seachem ammonia reader we have suction cupped in the tank. It was $7. API tends to be off.
image.jpg

If it weren’t for the blue light, you’d see that alert, alarm and toxic are green, light blue and dark blue and the sensor in the middle will change color based on ammonia levels.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back