After a year in the hobby I finally purchased my first doser now what..?

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been monitoring my alk and calc for about 2 weeks now and documenting it and it seems my alk drops about .6 every day and my calc about 20 calc every other day.

Now how should I properly calibrate my Jabeo 3 head doser? I’m also using the BRS calc and alk mix....

Thanks!

3b06e4ed48a6629e0bdb4529c226fe08.jpg
bb962f998935f5d4d60a95c1b3637fc6.jpg
4c48a2f0443536e097e573e8335e4cb4.jpg

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go ahead and setup your doser to dose into a graduated cylinder or other measuring cup and verify that it's dosing the appropriate amount in the set intervals. Asking it to pump 10 or 100mls can make calculating the error easier.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to find out how much supplements will replace , for example, .6 alk, in your tank. Then set your doser to dose that amount everyday.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a very handy calculator. You put in your gallons at the top.... enter your numbers accordingly.... and pick the product you’re using . It will help you figure out how much you need to dose. Just by manipulating the numbers you can figure out what balanced Alkalinity is for calcium etc...

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Reefthedayaway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up your doser and dose 1ml of each container each day. Test every day. If the level has dropped from the day before, double your dose. If it's still dropping double again to 4ml. Don't double if it hasn't dropped a good bit. Keep testing until you see it rising or stabilising. Adjust doses accordingly until you see your parameters stabilised at the desired levels. Everytime you add coral it will have an effect on your parameters so check every few days dose accordingly. Bigger bits will have a bigger effect. As coral grows it will have an effect aswell. Test everyday for about 2 weeks then every other day for a week. By that stage you should see everything stabilised. Once a week after that would be dead on. That's depending on what coral your keeping. I think a high end Acro tank you could be testing everyday I don't know, I think it might take more than a doser and a few test kits to keep them bad boys alive lol

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like dosing AquaForest Component 1+,2+,3+. You can use their calculator below to determine dosage. The nice thing with AF Component is that it has many other critical elements included as well in their mix. In addition, you only determine Alk dosage needed, since it uses the Balling method, you dose Calcium and Mag at the same rate (get them to the desired level first). I currently dose 40ml per day, 65g tank.

https://aquaforest.eu/en/afcalculate/

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back