My Red Sea Max e170 tank - after a 17 years break from the hobby

Nadiaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much have happened in the last 17 years in this hobby!
My kids are now big enough so i can force this hobby on them :grinning-face-with-sweat::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I bought myself a Red Sea AIO tank, and i really love it. Except the noise, mainly from the skimmer :face-with-spiral-eyes:
I am thinking about upgrading it with the sump kit.

The tank is now 4 days old. I build the aquascape using Caribsea shape rocks and real life rocks from a wellesablished tank. This was a really hard job because i had to work very fast and mainly in the tank because of the life rocks. I used Aquarium Epoxy and stonefix for this.

The sand is Caribsea Fiji Pink Arag-Alive! Live Reef Sand.

In my media rack i have Maxspect Nano-tech Bio-sphere and Red Sea Reef- Spec carbon.
I will be using a D-D Titanium heater 250W with the D-D Dual heating & Cooling controller.
For circulation (beside the Red Sea return pump) i will be using the Tunze 6040 Nanostream + controller.
The light will be the Red Sea ReefLED 90. I have plans to keep mostly soft corals and LPS. Maybe just a few SPS in the top of the tank.

And I am think about buying the Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO.

My water parameters for today is:
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5
PH = 8.15-8.3
KH/Alkalinity = 10.1 dKH
Ammonia = <0.15

So i guess i can add a fish or two very soon :)

tempImageaSTIHD.png tempImageA4PQZp.png tempImageTYUg1e.png tempImageNpxUid.png tempImagenAVWMd.png tempImage26vIVP.png tempImagehdeaWQ.png tempImageIEWHsz.png

AndyS598

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Scape!

I have the E-260 and feel your pain with the skimmer. Lots of micro bubbles in the display for me when I first set it up but they have been dying down massively (3 weeks in after transfering everything from a 1 year old tank) and starting to produce some proper skimmate. I think it seems louder because the skimmer obviously isn't inside a cabinet! People use the Tunze internal skimmer in the system if they can't stand the stock skimmer.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much have happened in the last 17 years in this hobby!
My kids are now big enough so i can force this hobby on them :grinning-face-with-sweat::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I bought myself a Red Sea AIO tank, and i really love it. Except the noise, mainly from the skimmer :face-with-spiral-eyes:
I am thinking about upgrading it with the sump kit.

The tank is now 4 days old. I build the aquascape using Caribsea shape rocks and real life rocks from a wellesablished tank. This was a really hard job because i had to work very fast and mainly in the tank because of the life rocks. I used Aquarium Epoxy and stonefix for this.

The sand is Caribsea Fiji Pink Arag-Alive! Live Reef Sand.

In my media rack i have Maxspect Nano-tech Bio-sphere and Red Sea Reef- Spec carbon.
I will be using a D-D Titanium heater 250W with the D-D Dual heating & Cooling controller.
For circulation (beside the Red Sea return pump) i will be using the Tunze 6040 Nanostream + controller.
The light will be the Red Sea ReefLED 90. I have plans to keep mostly soft corals and LPS. Maybe just a few SPS in the top of the tank.

And I am think about buying the Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO.

My water parameters for today is:
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5
PH = 8.15-8.3
KH/Alkalinity = 10.1 dKH
Ammonia = <0.15

So i guess i can add a fish or two very soon :)

tempImageaSTIHD.png tempImageA4PQZp.png tempImageTYUg1e.png tempImageNpxUid.png tempImagenAVWMd.png tempImage26vIVP.png tempImagehdeaWQ.png tempImageIEWHsz.png
Love the aquascape!

OP
OP
N

Nadiaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Scape!

I have the E-260 and feel your pain with the skimmer. Lots of micro bubbles in the display for me when I first set it up but they have been dying down massively (3 weeks in after transfering everything from a 1 year old tank) and starting to produce some proper skimmate. I think it seems louder because the skimmer obviously isn't inside a cabinet! People use the Tunze internal skimmer in the system if they can't stand the stock skimmer.
I have the same problem with lots of micro bubbles :( Do you know which model of Tunze skimmer that fits ind to the rear sump?
I think you are right about the cabinet, and maybe that's another reason to get the sump upgrade.

AndyS598

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem with lots of micro bubbles :( Do you know which model of Tunze skimmer that fits ind to the rear sump?
I think you are right about the cabinet, and maybe that's another reason to get the sump upgrade.
9004 I think!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back