After all the hassle and frustrations ive had with GHL is Apex any better?

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had nothing but hassle and frustration with my GHL products and GHL, so im in the process of planning my new tank, I want it to be fully controlled and simply refuse to give GHL any more of my money, so is the Apex system more up to date ie not antiquated like the Profilux 4 system, is it easy to use, is it easy to set up, is connecting it to wifi and receiving alerts and emails a breeze to do, if I want to do something specific is it easy to find out how, is it unnecessarily complicated.
TIA

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used the GHL Profilux, so I can't compare. With that said, I am extremely happy with my Apex and am very active in the various forums (here on R2R, Neptune Community Forums, Facebook Apex forum, and my local reefing club forum) with helping other reefers get the most from the Apex. See my 8-part Apex Programming Tutorial series for examples of Apex programming: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials.700483/

Personally I find the Apex very easy to understand and program. Many people may disagree with that assessment, but every product has its own nuances. If you follow Neptune's Getting Started guides from their website, it is very easy to get started. I think many people make the mistake of winging it without following the instructions, and then trying to un-do those mistakes makes it more difficult than necessary.

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used the GHL Profilux, so I can't compare. With that said, I am extremely happy with my Apex and am very active in the various forums (here on R2R, Neptune Community Forums, Facebook Apex forum, and my local reefing club forum) with helping other reefers get the most from the Apex. See my 8-part Apex Programming Tutorial series for examples of Apex programming: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials.700483/

Personally I find the Apex very easy to understand and program. Many people may disagree with that assessment, but every product has its own nuances. If you follow Neptune's Getting Started guides from their website, it is very easy to get started. I think many people make the mistake of winging it without following the instructions, and then trying to un-do those mistakes makes it more difficult than necessary.
Thanks for the link, ill take a look

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to take a stab and say that it's likely not your GHL components giving you problems, it's you as the user who is having trouble using your GHL components. Switching to Apex will just introduce you to a whole new environment of frustrations for you.

Why dont you share with us what your problems are and perhaps we can work through them? It's your time or your money and if you are like many of us these days, you likely have more time than money to spend.

-Dan

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to take a stab and say that it's likely not your GHL components giving you problems, it's you as the user who is having trouble using your GHL components. Switching to Apex will just introduce you to a whole new environment of frustrations for you.

Why dont you share with us what your problems are and perhaps we can work through them? It's your time or your money and if you are like many of us these days, you likely have more time than money to spend.

-Dan
Thank you for the response but im really just after info on the Apex, as stated above I will not entertain GHL any more.

Bob The Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response but im really just after info on the Apex, as stated above I will not entertain GHL any more.

Having battled Apex salinity probe drift for nearly a year and run out of patience waiting for a release in EU for the Trident I'm close to ordering a KH Director.

The Apex is very easy to setup but is very US centric, the nice PSUs are not available in EU or UK format for example.

I think as one post above states you are probably swapping one bunch of frustrations for another.

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ive decided to not go with any controller, ive survived without one and my father before me so its just not worth the hassle and frustrations.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive only used apex, so I don’t have a comparison for you. Apex cloud portal and software are great. The hardware not so much. I’m not leaving apex but I wish they would employ better hardware, I would be willing to pay the higher price for it.

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What GHL gear do you have and do you want to sell the generic bits and pieces?
I have a P4e with additional expansion card for redox and temp.
KH Director and slave doser plus a few bits and bobs on my office tank, which I am keeping as its cost a lot of money just to sell cheaply, I was looking forward to the ion director but ill give it a miss as it probably will be just more hassle to set up.
My intention was to try GHL and then get it to run my new build (when it happens) and another one to control my Discus tank but I will give it a miss and keep my money in my pocket instead of GHL's and go without any controller.

Bob The Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KH Director and slave doser plus a few bits and bobs on my office tank, which I am keeping as its cost a lot of money just to sell cheaply, I was looking forward to the ion director but ill give it a miss as it probably will be just more hassle to set up.
My intention was to try GHL and then get it to run my new build (when it happens) and another one to control my Discus tank but I will give it a miss and keep my money in my pocket instead of GHL's and go without any controller.

That's good feedback thanks ... guess it can't be such bad kit then :)

Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Neptune since the Aquacontroller days. And I have to say I find it to be a very straightforward controller. The Fusion portal for cloud access to the controller is great, and the language is intuitive and natural, aka: "If Tmp > 81.0 Then OFF". The salinity probe calibration was a bit of a PITA until I found some good documentation around it. I'm also not a fan of their optical sensors, as I've had a few fail and also the magnets have swollen/cracked/rusted. But I simply use a breakout box with old school float switches instead and those work great. I would also like to give kudos to SuncrestReef and his tutorials. I used his tutorial to program the Apex to turn stuff off and reduce my return pump speed while on battery backup in a power outage.

On my smaller tank, I tried a GHL doser as a standalone. I was not impressed. I swapped it out for a Kamoer F4 pro which was way easier to manage and program. On the larger tank I use a Neptune DOS.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you have made up your mind, and I admire the people who maintain their systems without a controller. If you can do it, I think that is a great option.
I have owned both the Apex and Profilux. I can tell you the Apex is easier to use and program. The interface feels more modern. I also found it less reliable. The GHL isn't as easy to set up but once it is set up it just works.
I typically tell people in the USA that if they want easy, to go with Apex. If they want robust, go with Profilux. But nothing is as easy or reliable as not using a controller at all.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back