After Chemi-Clean

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

So I had an outbreak of cyan that I just couldn't get rid of and, full disclosure, I really got tired of cleaning (trying) the sand several times a week. I never did get to root cause but I will say my parms were never out of whack from what I was shooting for (no3 5-10, po4 5-10, precision implied...).

Anyway, bit the bullet and went for Chemi-Clean, 60% of recommended dosage. It seemed to do the trick.

My question is, after such a treatment, do I need to change any parms to account for the change, be concerned about anything in particular that may have been depleted and/or changed as a result of the treatment?

Thx!

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve faced the same issue and have noticed that it takes a few months and cycles of chemiclean to completely get rid of cyano. My parameters were where I wanted them at NO3 of 5-10ppm and PO4 of 0.03-0.08ppm.

I don’t think you really meant PO4 of 5-10ppm, did you?

If your nutrients are where you want them and your corals are doing well, I’d be cautious of going and chasing numbers and altering things, creating a bigger problem in the process and impacting the health of your corals. You didn’t say whether your corals were doing well or not but that would be the first thing I’d consider in figuring out your next steps.

Do the recommended water change at 48 hrs and you may want to increase the frequency of water changes for the next couple of months. That’s what I did and the cyano problem eventually went away.

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your skimmer will go nuts if you turn it on. It will stabilize in a week or so. That’s the only thing. The rest should be good.

From my experience of using it twice.

OP
OP
Z

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

All my LPS's seem to be doing well and nutrients are still in the ranges (PO$ correction from above PO4 .05 - .1) I am shooting for. SPS's, except a Monti, have never done well so I haven't negatively affected them. Hopefully, the one treatment does it but will see. Good idea on the water changes. I'll add in a few extra to make sure everything is replinished.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how it goes!

There’s a thread in here suggesting that chemiclean may help stop STN, which would certainly be very interesting.

OP
OP
Z

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how it goes!

There’s a thread in here suggesting that chemiclean may help stop STN, which would certainly be very interesting.

That's intesting. I have nothing but STN on my acros. I'll see if that changes. As I only used a 1/2 dose of the Chemo-Clean I'm guessing I'll need another (and will do full treatment if so).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A light siphoning and leave it at that. Change nothing, leave skimmer off and keep lights low gradually returning to normal intensity for 4-5 days

Nick30G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fought Cyano in the past and won with chemiclean. Just follow what the instructions stay to the T and you will be fine. Keep your skimmer on (with cup off) because it will overflow. It is very important to oxygenate the water during a chemiclean treatment. In my experience it worked well at getting rid of cyano.

OP
OP
Z

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fought Cyano in the past and won with chemiclean. Just follow what the instructions stay to the T and you will be fine. Keep your skimmer on (with cup off) because it will overflow. It is very important to oxygenate the water during a chemiclean treatment. In my experience it worked well at getting rid of cyano.

Yea, it seemed to go well. I also bought an air deal and had it in the tank the entire time. Didn't lose anything so that's good. Just wasn't sure if it killed off other things as well that I needed to be concerned about.

adawg362

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'd be interesting to see if chemiclean helps with STN since it's been reported that stn/rtn may be caused by bacteria and chemi-clean is an antibiotic of sorts. It wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility.

OP
OP
Z

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'd be interesting to see if chemiclean helps with STN since it's been reported that stn/rtn may be caused by bacteria and chemi-clean is an antibiotic of sorts. It wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility.

Hope so!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back