OP
tnyr5

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm in the midst of yanking some things out and replanting. The bean bag/bounce/godzilla/whatever-they're-called-this-week yumas were releasing a lot of chemicals into the water, so they are now in time out in my acclimation tank. The big table got too big, so now it lives with Kevin Kohen at Liveaquaria. I yanked out the surf & turf stag, which was growing too fast, & the orange pavona (that one I'll add back), which was too aggressive for that spot. The lime in the sky, pc superman, and garf bonsai are also on the chopping block. I moved the wrecking ball robusta to a new pillar where the surf & turf used to be so that it can go berserk.

As far as routine, nothing special. Weekly 5gal water changes, Alk 8-8.5, Ca 410-430, Mg 1290-1330. Currently, it takes about 80mL of two part (per part) to maintain those values. I test often and watch the tank like a hawk, but I do not chase numbers on the big 3 as long as they're in range. I keep the NO3 and PO4 between 5 -10 and .05-.12 respectively, using dried planktonic foods to raise it and the occasional ml of vodka to lower it as needed. Fish are fed 2-3x per day, pellet, flake, & frozen.
I replace my RO prefilters every 6 months & the UV sterilizer light every 12.

OP
OP
tnyr5

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My "ugly" acan with my backup UFO micromussa.
20200129_165829_edited.jpeg

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man i need your friends nobody ever gives me awesome corals.

ill take one of your jawbreakers and a frag pack next time youre doing tank work. ill pay.

not to mention your rock work. im inspired and will be copying you for sure in the future lol.

beautiful tank sir.

justy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm in the midst of yanking some things out and replanting. The bean bag/bounce/godzilla/whatever-they're-called-this-week yumas were releasing a lot of chemicals into the water, so they are now in time out in my acclimation tank. The big table got too big, so now it lives with Kevin Kohen at Liveaquaria. I yanked out the surf & turf stag, which was growing too fast, & the orange pavona (that one I'll add back), which was too aggressive for that spot. The lime in the sky, pc superman, and garf bonsai are also on the chopping block. I moved the wrecking ball robusta to a new pillar where the surf & turf used to be so that it can go berserk.

As far as routine, nothing special. Weekly 5gal water changes, Alk 8-8.5, Ca 410-430, Mg 1290-1330. Currently, it takes about 80mL of two part (per part) to maintain those values. I test often and watch the tank like a hawk, but I do not chase numbers on the big 3 as long as they're in range. I keep the NO3 and PO4 between 5 -10 and .05-.12 respectively, using dried planktonic foods to raise it and the occasional ml of vodka to lower it as needed. Fish are fed 2-3x per day, pellet, flake, & frozen.
I replace my RO prefilters every 6 months & the UV sterilizer light every 12.
Thanks for the info, do you have to use gfo or do the corals mop up the excess Po4?.
Do you dose any trace elements or do water changes keep up with demand.
Cheers Justin.

OP
OP
tnyr5

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll throw in a few grams of Strontium and Potassium every few weeks, but it's just to make me feel better. I don't use gfo. As you correctly guessed, the corals are the primary means of filtration. Usually, I'm trying to keep the nutrients up.

justy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll throw in a few grams of Strontium and Potassium every few weeks, but it's just to make me feel better. I don't use gfo. As you correctly guessed, the corals are the primary means of filtration. Usually, I'm trying to keep the nutrients up.

justy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again looking forward to keeping an eye on your tanks progress, keep up the good work.
Regards justin.

OP
OP
tnyr5

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is. Grows nice & dense in high light. I love Anacropora, it never encrusts, so it's perfect for slipping in a dash of color in a place that is otherwise too small for a new coral.

OP
OP
tnyr5

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they are in qt-tank-time-out, these pics should put the yumas' size in perspective. Pardon the 3000k light in the qt tank.
20200205_152850.jpg
Everything to the left of the shell is a single yuma.
20200205_154419.jpg

OP
OP
tnyr5

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the midst of the clearing and replanting... I can't wait for this to be over. To a minimalist reefer, this is what hell looks like. I can't scrape my back wall. I WANT MY EMOTIONAL SUPPORT VOID BACK!!!!!
20200216_133222_edited.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back