AFTER THE MOVE

Shanej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am just in the process of purchasing a 100g established tank which will be relocated to my home this Sunday.
I am really interested in knowing any tips on settling the tank over the following hours days weeks after the move.

The tank is about 15 years old and has the following
2 x oscel clowns (been in tank since new - 14years old)
1x purple Tang
1 x Bristol tooth Tang
Kaudern's Cardinalfish

Hammer coral
Stork coral
Mushroom Coral

1.Any thoughts comments would be greatly appreciated have seen many posts about the move but none post move.

2.Also any thoughts on when other fish can be added and recomendations on fish to add

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep an ammonia alert badge in there for sure, along with testing with a kit.
I wouldn't feed for a couple days after it's setup either.
That's a big move are you doing it or are you having someone move it? What is the plan if so?
I wouldn't add any fish for at least a couple months. You may find the inhabitants break with ich or something from the stress if the move so maybe be prepared for that

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank has a sandbed, consider replacing the sand. Apparently some deadly gasses can be released if the sandbed gets stirred up. I have moved two different 65 gallon systems in the last couple years, one was my own moving from an old house to new, and the other I purchased 'used'. The 'used' one had vary little clean up crew and the sand bed was just nasty, it took a full weekend to clean up for re-use; a complete waste of time, lol...

So, to relate that to your actual question. Using new sand will likely make the water cloudy for a few hours, so keep the fish in a dark container with heat and air until the water clears (enough).

Relating to cmcoker's post, fire up a small hospital tank in case you see illness or odd aggression in the first couple weeks. I do not know how aggressive purple tangs are, but the other fish should be pretty chill.

Also, I would test the water for the first five days (Ammonia and Nitrite), then maybe a couple times over the next few weeks. Who knows what sort of die off or weird stuff you are going to shake loose during the move.

Keep as much replacement water on hand as you possibly can. Figure you will lose at least 10% during the tear down, so have 25 or 50 gallons on hand during and post move.

As mentioned above, slowly introduce food. Use very small amounts a couple days after the move to see if they will eat. If you are new to the hobby, your inclination will be to over feed, which will just cause problems down the road. Fight the urge to put lots of food in the tank. For example, your cardinal may not eat when you feed. I have never seen bangaii cardinal eat. Not once; not even when it was in QT... If you feed to make you happy, your tank will at worst crash, or at best get a nuisance algae breakout. I feel like I have gone off on a tangent here, so I will stop rambling now....

OP
OP
S

Shanej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys,

I have organised a professional to move the tank for me as I know that is going to be way to much for me as a beginner.

The move is 85km so its a big move - Im confident in the move itself as the guys has moved many - I am worried about the process going forward after delivery - what to look for etc as I dont know what the norm is.

Shane

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok excellent that you are having help.

Big thing to watch after setup is ammonia. Have saltwater handy as well as some Prime. Prime will detoxify the ammonia while you get stuff together for a water change.

Will you be making your own saltwater?

Ask plenty of question about the system when it's being setup.

Does it come with a automatic top off to replace evaporation?

You may want to give your mover a call and discuss replacing the sandbed. If it has 15 years of detritus in it that could definitely cause you some problems.

OP
OP
S

Shanej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again Cmcoker - I will have make sure I have plenty of water on hand.
I will definitely keep you posted on the next few weeks.

OP
OP
S

Shanej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Reefers,

So I've got the tank set up at my place now.
Fish went in Sunday 2pm the clarity Monday Morning perfect.
Tonight Monday night I gave the fish some food.
All fish are happy all eating lots of rock picking wtc.
All coral got here safe even an anemone that was on the rock backdrop hence did the trip dry and he still seems to be okay it moved from where it was around the side and is sitting just before the weir, maybe looking fir water flow?
My large Anemone still hasnt opened and only has a few tenticles out im hoping that will change tomorrow otherwise I will be looking for advice on what to do can i change flow position etc.
I did tests this morning everything was perfect i believe
Ammonia 0 ppm
No2 0 ppm
Ph 8.3
No3 0 ppm
Calcium 430

Just wish Anemone would open

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back