Aquarium cloudy after Na3PO4

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a 1.5 month old ~100g tank with one cute tang.
Now, NO3 climbed to a good 10ppm state, while PO4 dematerialised to <0.01 from 0.05
It's the 1st week that corals are in such low nutrient conditions so I went ahead and dosed 12mls of Na3PO4 which should now make it 0.04 or so.
An hour after dosing the water turned cloudy.
Here are the details:
Chemical filtration: -carbon
kH: 9.6
NO3: <10
PO4: <0.01 (was measured 20 mins before dosing)
Salinity is 1.025

-no rocks or sand only a refugium
I am thinking that it may be a bacterial bloom which will hopefuly resolve itself thanks to the skimmer.
Any other theories ? Should I take action?

OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just wait it out, unless it goes on so long that it’s an aesthetic problem.
The blooming still did not dampen, so tonight I checked with white light that whether or not it's truly bacteria.
The water is green under white light, under blue light the water is white. This leads me to believe that the bloom is actually phytoplankton ! This is mostly negative from the perspective that I simply don't have enough corals to eat that much, and the planktons (if my idea is actually true) suck every tiny bit of nutrient out of the water thus making zoas and an acan suffer.
-Today I tested PO4 it is 0 on Hanna ULR, I added Na3PO3 yet again since the mentioned corals were already starving.

Upvote 0

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's green water and it won't skim, filter or subside in a few days, most people use UV to knock it out.

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You reported a bacteria bloom only on Wednesday, it takes about a week to week and a half to clear, just let it be. I would not add anything to the tank, especially nutrients since it feed the bacteria more. Don't do water change that will prolong the bacteria.

If you have a skimmer, almost impossible to turn the tank green with phyto

The tank is simply too new, only 6 weeks old, its an imballance of bacteria to nutrients that is causing this. Have you considered that corals not doing well simply cause the tank is not ready for them?

I would suggest not to worry about the corals for now, stop dosing stuff into your tank, just let your tank marinate and mature for a while.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a picture too. It is definetely phyto...
IMG_20240303_005053.jpg

The skimmer does nothing, and mind you it is tuned properly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, that is definitely a strong phyto bloom. lol
I have a canister filter, perhaps if I fill it with fine filterfloss I could get them out.
And maybe I could sell/use them in other tanks as a food source. I really don't like the idea of UV-C.
Next day I'll get my canister filter started, for now there is nothing better to be done.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some medical cotton paper can it be used for filtration ? I mean is it reef safe? It doesn't seem to fall apart when contacts with water, keeps itself together. As I mentioned, it is medical grade...

Not sure what all in it, but it is likely OK. Not sure how easily it will filter a whole tank, however.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what all in it, but it is likely OK. Not sure how easily it will filter a whole tank, however.
I'll use a plastic bottle attached to the pipe where the water comes into the sump. In the bottle I'd place the mentioned filter wool and sponge(s) to remove larger matters. I have 500 grams of this thing, it should last for awhile. I could also put this "paper" directly into the filtersock but then I'd say that it catches everything else aswell, thus using more of the "paper".
I'll have a try with the last concept - Since it is easier to do for now.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back