My aquarium is polyp bailout bound ?! Experts needed aswell!

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey !

So my tank seems to kill every lps/sps in a matter of time, regardless of NO3, Mg, Ca, kH and PO4.

LPS Corals tend to bailout 1-2 months, (longest was 3-4 months) usually get around 100-150par for acans it's 90-120par
SPS Corals die within 1 month
Soft corals are happy - running carbon for toxin absorption

Here is what usually happens: first 3 weeks fine, and healthy opening well, on the 4th week they start to receed but mind you they still open as they should until they pop-off of their skeleton, no connective tissue remains (usually 5th week but it differs from time to time lps survive for 3 weeks more) , leaving a clean, white base behind.

About the tank:
LED lit, with Maxspect Ethereal: Green 93%, UV 93%, Blue ~100%, Cool White 60%, Warm White 23-27%
Flow
1 jebao slw 20 set in wave mode, 1 tunze AC wavemaker - makes a waveing flow pattern

Time spent since setup: over 1,5 year old, started with dry and live rock.

Livestock: 5 fish, a tang, an anthias, a damsel, a clownfish and a firegoby. - nothing munches on corals, they are the same age as the tank

Parameters: (everything measured with either Salifert or Hanna)
NO3: 25-10ppm
PO4: 0.04-0.01
Mg: 1260
Ca: 470-460
kH: 9-10
Temperature is constantly 25 C°
Salinity is 1.024-1.025, is very stable

Micro-Macro fauna: bristtle worms, amphipods, copepods, few small brittle stars and limpets (the good kind) for CUC. The tank has tons and tons of tiny crustaceans, these are what I know of.

OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you either have some sort if pest (flatworms, red bugs), are very depleted on trace elements or have heavy metals Dissolved like copper, tin ect. Maybe get an ICP test done? Do you spotfeed the corals? How about aggression?
No pests. I've been thinking about ICP but has no use with 10% WC/week. Regarding agression, it's closed out aswell, I regularly watch them at night and there is no agression between any of them.
No way of dissolved heavymetals/metals either, I sometimes take a look at the magnets, rotors etc. there is no rust.

Here's a picture 20mins before lights off, so a few are already closed for the day. - I don't have a ramp up and down time, only 100% through out 8-10hrs.

Here is the picture:
IMG_20231115_201600.jpg

Upvote 0

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pests. I've been thinking about ICP but has no use with 10% WC/week. Regarding agression, it's closed out aswell, I regularly watch them at night and there is no agression between any of them.
No way of dissolved heavymetals/metals either, I sometimes take a look at the magnets, rotors etc. there is no rust.

Here's a picture 20mins before lights off, so a few are already closed for the day. - I don't have a ramp up and down time, only 100% through out 8-10hrs.

Here is the picture:
Could be the soft coral's mucus irritating the coral. Keep in mind that Dissolved metals don't just come from rust, it can come in the water, on the rock ect. Also %10 weekly is a very large shift, the coral could be dying from the stress of a shift in parameters every week

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the soft coral's mucus irritating the coral. Keep in mind that Dissolved metals don't just come from rust, it can come in the water, on the rock ect
True. I forgot to mention that I use RODI water with TDS 0 - always at 0. Still, I doubt the mucus when running skimmer carbon and filtersock.

Upvote 0

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also recommend highly doing an ICP. I use triton labs, mostly because I dose trace and don’t do water changes often. I do an test every 6 months. The issue that you can be having is some kind of elevated element or foreign element. High levels of certain trace elements can wreck havoc and or high levels of certain heavy metals. You can find them on Amazon if you search for ICP saltwater test

Upvote 0

dowdalld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting on fixes and ideas...
An ICP, I had issues, an ICP showed high copper, zinc and iron (corroding magnet) but also many trace elements at 0 even though I do a 10% weekly water change. At least it gives a possible reason ......

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next day I'll get an ICP OES test from my lfs. I was looking at the prices and Reeffactory costs half as much as ATI or Fauna Marin but it gives readings about half as much elements. Does it worth to get the ATI or Fauna Marin?

Upvote 0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot cyano in that pic. Nutrients are unbalanced or missing. What's your no3 and po4.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back