My aquarium is polyp bailout bound ?! Experts needed aswell!

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey !

So my tank seems to kill every lps/sps in a matter of time, regardless of NO3, Mg, Ca, kH and PO4.

LPS Corals tend to bailout 1-2 months, (longest was 3-4 months) usually get around 100-150par for acans it's 90-120par
SPS Corals die within 1 month
Soft corals are happy - running carbon for toxin absorption

Here is what usually happens: first 3 weeks fine, and healthy opening well, on the 4th week they start to receed but mind you they still open as they should until they pop-off of their skeleton, no connective tissue remains (usually 5th week but it differs from time to time lps survive for 3 weeks more) , leaving a clean, white base behind.

About the tank:
LED lit, with Maxspect Ethereal: Green 93%, UV 93%, Blue ~100%, Cool White 60%, Warm White 23-27%
Flow
1 jebao slw 20 set in wave mode, 1 tunze AC wavemaker - makes a waveing flow pattern

Time spent since setup: over 1,5 year old, started with dry and live rock.

Livestock: 5 fish, a tang, an anthias, a damsel, a clownfish and a firegoby. - nothing munches on corals, they are the same age as the tank

Parameters: (everything measured with either Salifert or Hanna)
NO3: 25-10ppm
PO4: 0.04-0.01
Mg: 1260
Ca: 470-460
kH: 9-10
Temperature is constantly 25 C°
Salinity is 1.024-1.025, is very stable

Micro-Macro fauna: bristtle worms, amphipods, copepods, few small brittle stars and limpets (the good kind) for CUC. The tank has tons and tons of tiny crustaceans, these are what I know of.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey !

So my tank seems to kill every lps/sps in a matter of time, regardless of NO3, Mg, Ca, kH and PO4.

LPS Corals tend to bailout 1-2 months, (longest was 3-4 months) usually get around 100-150par for acans it's 90-120par
SPS Corals die within 1 month
Soft corals are happy - running carbon for toxin absorption

Here is what usually happens: first 3 weeks fine, and healthy opening well, on the 4th week they start to receed but mind you they still open as they should until they pop-off of their skeleton, no connective tissue remains (usually 5th week but it differs from time to time lps survive for 3 weeks more) , leaving a clean, white base behind.

About the tank:
LED lit, with Maxspect Ethereal: Green 93%, UV 93%, Blue ~100%, Cool White 60%, Warm White 23-27%
Flow
1 jebao slw 20 set in wave mode, 1 tunze AC wavemaker - makes a waveing flow pattern

Time spent since setup: over 1,5 year old, started with dry and live rock.

Livestock: 5 fish, a tang, an anthias, a damsel, a clownfish and a firegoby. - nothing munches on corals, they are the same age as the tank

Parameters: (everything measured with either Salifert or Hanna)
NO3: 25-10ppm
PO4: 0.04-0.01
Mg: 1260
Ca: 470-460
kH: 9-10
Temperature is constantly 25 C°
Salinity is 1.024-1.025, is very stable

Micro-Macro fauna: bristtle worms, amphipods, copepods, few small brittle stars and limpets (the good kind) for CUC. The tank has tons and tons of tiny crustaceans, these are what I know of.
My bet is nutrients and flow

Upvote 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that cyano is indicative of a parameter imbalance. Typically flow is the first solution followed by lighting if your water parameters are in order. Have you verified your par numbers with a par meter? Your green and cool white spectrums are way to high and causing your cyano problemsy most likely.

Check @SunnyX thread for water clarity and cyano elimination.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that cyano is indicative of a parameter imbalance. Typically flow is the first solution followed by lighting if your water parameters are in order. Have you verified your par numbers with a par meter? Your green and cool white spectrums are way to high and causing your cyano problemsy most likely.

Absolutely agree

Upvote 0

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure if there is no trace suplementation that it has something to do with it.

If I was in your situation I would ICP ASAP or play a little catchup dosing traces. I would also play with flow, also, without close nightine inspection, it's pretty hard to rule out pests.

First thing I would do is throw some cuprisorb and gac in a reactor.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm planning to rent a parwise, so I can measure spectrum aswell.
Cyano is getting weaker each day. Today it came off very easily.

And regarding light:
let's say 93%green gives me 100par (just an example)
but I want UV,
so I set UV to have the same par but without green. Can it be done under a day or acclimation is needed? Even if there is no actual change to par ?

as I mentioned NO3 is 15 and PO4 is 0.08 I'm rather sure that this is a good range.

Upvote 0

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And regarding light:
but I want UV,
so I set UV to have the same par but without green. Can it be done under a day or acclimation is needed? Even if there is no actual change to par ?

as I mentioned NO3 is 15 and PO4 is 0.08 I'm rather sure that this is a good range.
Your spectrum is all FUBAR. How to fix not sure. Somebody with more knowledge with led is needed

Upvote 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And regarding light:
but I want UV,

You want blue and uv at 100% red and green maybe 5 to 10% white maybe 25%. Corals don't use white. It's just for viewing pleasure and to much leads to algae or cyano.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back