Afternoon you knowledgable bunch HEEEEELP

Opm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the group so don't beat me with damp squids will get around to uploading all my particulars in due corse, been keeping a reef tank coming up to six years thought i knew it all as been keeping fish for 26yrs...how wrong i was never knew how much damage swings could do, my problem is I'm now reasonably well versed but struggling with Duncans & Hammerheads (Lost a few in the past thought it was KH swings) now I've been reading about GFO & Low Iodine, system is packed with GSPS , Mushrooms, Leathers, One decent Nem, but struggling with above , my perms are
TEMP 76
NITRITE 0
NITRATE 8
AMONIA 0
PHOSPHATE 0.08 Was below 0.04 a week ago when i turned off GFO reactor
PH 8.2
IODINE SHOWING AS 0
KH 9
SALINITY 1.025

Lights TMC Iluminair 1200 tank Redsea reefer 350, run Rowaphos, Bacto pellets, wave makers 2x MP10... What am i missing buddies

OP
OP
Opm

Opm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME MY DUDE! I’m also a little unclear on the question being asked

Haha yeah sorry about that I guess I'm just struggling to figure out what's wrong in my tank, all softies doing well but newly added (about 5 weeks ago) hammer , duncans and zoas all alive but barely opened...saw somewhere this could be down to GFO but it seems I need this to keep phosphates under control

OP
OP
Opm

Opm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

first #WelcometoR2R

good intro. I was a little unclear on the exact question. Is it in regards to the gfo use and low iodine?

Hi ya

Haha yeah sorry about that I guess I'm just struggling to figure out what's wrong in my tank, all softies doing well but newly added (about 5 weeks ago) hammer , duncans and zoas all alive but barely opened...saw somewhere this could be down to GFO but it seems I need this to keep phosphates under control

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be the GFO...maybe get some chaeto and make a fuge in the sump....this does a great job at controlling nitrates and phosphates...I'd recommend this over GFO any day...zoas like some iodine...could be low iodine...also...what is your calcium and mag...these are also VERY important parameters

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard mixed reviews on GFO, not really a fan of it myself as it stripped my phosphate way to quickly. How is the flow on the corals in question. IME, hammers like low indirect flow and low lighting.

Welcome to R2R!!!

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r! Imo lps like some nutrients in the water, so dont bottom them out, and to be fed.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I've had a duncan colony for 5+ years. It was being a little grumpy and withdrawn back around Christmas time. All my usual params were fine, so I sent off an ICP test that I'd had laying around. The test came back with ZERO iodine. Not sure where my iodine goes (Reef Crystal salt maxes to .06) but now I have to dose iodine (Lugols) every couple of weeks. (And had to buy a stupid Iodine test kit.)

Some say that zoanthids are big consumers of iodine.

OP
OP
Opm

Opm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be the GFO...maybe get some chaeto and make a fuge in the sump....this does a great job at controlling nitrates and phosphates...I'd recommend this over GFO any day...zoas like some iodine...could be low iodine...also...what is your calcium and mag...these are also VERY important parameters

Sorry for delay in responding, pesky work getting in the way grrrrr, Mag 1305 Calc 445 That was as of 10th Jan i only really do a full test once a month unless somethings out of whack, Iodine was reading at 0 on a salifert kit so have started adding iodine at 1 drop a day to see if that helps thank you

OP
OP
Opm

Opm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r! Imo lps like some nutrients in the water, so dont bottom them out, and to be fed.

yeah i believe I've stripped phosphate too quick, and discovered my RO is testing at 0.16 so new DI Resin needed even tho its only just creeped up to 2ppt

OP
OP
Opm

Opm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I've had a duncan colony for 5+ years. It was being a little grumpy and withdrawn back around Christmas time. All my usual params were fine, so I sent off an ICP test that I'd had laying around. The test came back with ZERO iodine. Not sure where my iodine goes (Reef Crystal salt maxes to .06) but now I have to dose iodine (Lugols) every couple of weeks. (And had to buy a stupid Iodine test kit.)

Some say that zoanthids are big consumers of iodine.

Very interesting to see you're the second person that said could be low iodine, i have started putting in one drop a day as Iodine was 0! so will test over the weekend and see if I'm getting any raised levels... saw in another thread that iodine is filtered out really quickly? not sure if thats the case or corals are using it

OP
OP
Opm

Opm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so Iodide & iodate was 0 after dosing iodine drops for a week I now have iodide of 0.03 but no iodate this is on a Salifert test kit, montipora has made a great recovery & zoas look like they want to open, but Duncan’s & hammer not doing much at all... shall I continue dosing iodine?? Cheers fellas

OP
OP
Opm

Opm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm after several weeks of have my Iodate raised and showing on the salifert test kit...zoas are out and spreading, duncan coral has 2-3 new heads, and every thing is going great, thank you

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back