0   0   0
Tank: 30 G 24”x18”x18”
Stock:
Wheeler goby pistol shrimp pair
Bangaii Cardinal
Red firefish - the normal one
Royal gramma

Second tank has striped fang blenny.

So the royal gramma chases the firefish. The firefish comes out to eat, but hides the rest of the day. I don’t see any nips.
I’m wondering if I can displace some aggression by adding another fish to the tank. But it could backfire if the new fish is also aggressive, or the new fish is also too timid. I am considering a pink streaked wrasse, or a rainfords goby. I am thinking possibly a fairy wrasse, one that is not aggressive but will stand its ground. Unfortunately the tank is small, and that can also lead to aggression. I also have a 13 Gallon with only a fang blenny in it (plus inverts, corals). He is a pig and killed a bangaii in one week (i was shipped two when I only ordered one so I put one in this 13g).

What do you all suggest? I really love the firefish.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
A couple of ideas. I have used a mirror taped to the outside of the tank as a distraction and then removed it after everyone settled in. Royal Grammas are definitely territorial and so in a small tank it can be hard to insert timid fish. If you want to add some more fish, you might consider moving the RG to your 13 and add what you would like. Then reintroduce the RG and maybe he will not be as aggressive as the other fish will precede him.

Spartan76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire fish are among the most timid and will be at the bottom of the hierarchy even when you add another fish. I don’t see this ending well in a 30g system -adding more fish might create more warfare not less.You could try dramatically changing the aqua scape to completely disorient the territories and have enough structure where the fish can find spots with relative solitude. Or trade in your gramma for a much smaller one. The last suggestion probably the best. Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back