Aggression with Desjardin red sea

heatherjeff2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a red sea Desjardin that I acquired 2 weeks ago and I only had to sets off different rock placements I went ahead and bought more rock which now I have a total of around 100 pounds of rock. Still he is being aggressive. Since I added him my watchman goby hides and won't come out. My one spot foxface always try to sting him because the sailfin always goes after him. He took over my entire tank what should I do. Is there anything to ease the aggression. There are some fish he won't bother anymore.

I have watchman goby
Clown goby I beleive he's real tiny hides with the watchman
Midas blenny
One spot fox face
Desjardin red sea
A basslet
Cleaner shrimp
Peppermint shrimp unsure how many
2 clown fish that hang out by the Desjardin most hung out part(they don't get bothered
Tomini tang
Melanaurus wrasse

125 with around a 50 gallon sump
72 inch long tank and 19 inch wide.

Should I try to sell him which I don't want to be cause he's a beautiful fish

Or is there something more I can do

20231030_053920.jpg
20231015_143402.jpg

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still could use more rock.

Have you tried a mirror?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a desjardini in my RedSea 750xxl... IMO, a 125 is way too small for them. They reach 10" mature, are very active swimmers and a 180g is absolute minimum tank size.

These are naturally territorial fish that guard large portions of reef to ensure ample algae to graze upon. In a smaller tank, other algae eaters, like your tomini and foxface, are seen as a threat and will be met with agression. Since nobody can get away in an aquarium, fights are guaranteed.

I also have a tomini, but he is also an agressive fish so they get along fine. I also had a chocolate tang who was submissive. Everything was fine for the most part and the chocolate would stay out of the way... then one day the desjardini flipped a switch and killed the chocolate tang.

OP
OP
H

heatherjeff2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think my floor could handle 180gallons right now I have supports on my basement for the 125......it's an older home in the woods so we got all sorts of critters mice termites carpenter ants for the most part where my tank is located is solid. I just put the supports to be safe. Plus I think my wife would kill me if she saw a 180gallon tank delivered without her knowing haha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back