Aggressive Blue Tang

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue tang has begun picking on one of my clownfish, so much so that today the clown has a significant scratch on its side - I’m hope it doesn’t get infected. My question for the fish guru’s here is, how do I mitigate the tang’s aggression? I feed heavily and have nori in the tank constantly. I have a sailfin tang and a foxface in quarantine waiting to go in the tank (waiting on my melev’s peacemaker) that are decent sized... Would adding them mitigate the aggression at all? I don’t want to have to get rid of the tang, but I’ve had these clowns for 7 years... I’m much more attached to them than the tang!!

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very hard to say. Had and still have a hippo that was with a purple tang for 4 yrs and were fine until one day he started attacking the purple tang. Left them alone to work it out and eventually he calmed down. How long have they been together and who was first?

OP
OP
mjt82

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ve been together about 1-1.5 mos... The tang was first. It was a fruit basket turnover tank upgrade... The new tank (220) I got up and running, and put in the tang, then I moved over my clowns from my established 100 gallon. I know that breaks the general rule of fish addition order, I just hoped I could make it work!!

OP
OP
mjt82

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if adding occasional, small pellet feedings would help? I’m only feeding once daily currently.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if adding occasional, small pellet feedings would help? I’m only feeding once daily currently.
It might but it sounds like a very aggressive blue tang. Is this a Caribbean blue tang or hippo?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I didn’t clarify that! It’s a hippo.
Wow. Attacking a clown, that sounds like a very hungry or otherwise aggressive hippo.

Do you feed it nori? It should have access to enough nori that it grazes for 2/3-3/4 the day.

OP
OP
mjt82

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. I’m thinking about adding a second clip with more, though. I feed 1/2 sheet per day. This is one of the fattest hippos I’ve seen.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. I’m thinking about adding a second clip with more, though. I feed 1/2 sheet per day. This is one of the fattest hippos I’ve seen.
Well then that’s probably not the issue. Is the tank very lightly stocked, now?

If so, I’d remove the hippo for the sump for a few weeks after adding the fish in QT.

Actually I might recommend that either way

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a photo of the affected clown *edit, I said tang*

Last edited:
OP
OP
mjt82

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about doing that - Putting the hippo in QT for a couple weeks when I add the other two. Sheesh... I don’t know how in the world I’ll catch this sucker! Time to break out the trap I guess!!!

OP
OP
mjt82

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a photo of the affected tang?

Lights are out now, but the tang isn’t affected at all. The clown he’s been picking on has a decent gash on its side.. I think it’ll be ok with time and feeding. It ate well tonight. I’ll get a pic tomorrow.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of feeding heavily once a day, feed smaller more frequent meals.

Adding the new fish will help diffuse aggression.

A mirror at one end of the tank can distract the hippo.

OP
OP
mjt82

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about leaving the lights out for today so the clowns can get a brief reprieve until I can get a new auto feeder? I just got word that my peacemaker won’t be in anytime soon... the sailfin and foxface are super healthy and ready to go in. Should I go ahead and introduce them or will that create more chaos? I’m inclined to think a bit of chaos may improve the situation somewhat....

OP
OP
mjt82

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve added the sailfin and foxface from quarantine and kept lights out almost all day yesterday. Going to do another lights out almost all day today as well, and make sure they’re fed heavily. My tank is in a sunroom, and gets some ambient light, so maybe this will be a “soft” introduction. The clown is healing up nicely and eating well. Maybe we’ll be ok!

OP
OP
mjt82

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clowns have a host anemone , I think they would be safe?

I don't have a host anemone for my clowns - They did reside in a large lobophytum at one point, but haven't resumed that since moving to the new tank.

OP
OP
mjt82

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s an update: I added the sailfin and foxface from QT, and immediately turned out the lights, and added two sheets of nori. The hippo acted interested for a minute, then retreated to her usually sleeping spot. I left the lights out all day the next day, but turned them on for feeding time, and everyone seemed to be getting along fine! No signs of aggression. I left the lights out again most of the day the next day (which was yesterday), turned lights on at feeding time, and fed everyone. Everyone ate well, no signs of aggression! The clowns are also eating well and the injured clown seems to be healing up. I plan to slowly ramp up the photoperiod over the next few days, but I think everything is looking good! For reference, the hippo is about 6-7”.

050c319f21634c62506951817fc8ae38.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back