Aggressive clownfish

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so I recently added a yasha goby to my tank, and it’s been ok for about a week until my clownfish pair started nipping and chasing it around. The tank is 24g and I’ve had the clowns for a year. I caught both the clownfish and placed them in a breeder box for about 3 days. They continued to chase and be aggressive after being released, but just the female this time. What should I do? (Should I also catch the male clown?)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey, so I recently added a yasha goby to my tank, and it’s been ok for about a week until my clownfish pair started nipping and chasing it around. The tank is 24g and I’ve had the clowns for a year. I caught both the clownfish and placed them in a breeder box for about 3 days. They continued to chase and be aggressive after being released, but just the female this time. What should I do? (Should I also catch the male clown?)
Clowns can be territorial and especially the larger one being female shows a hierarchy in which she will protect an area or the whole tank as her own generally eating all the food and chasing others away including her male counterpart. This may subside but keep an eye on her. You can isolate her or both in an acclamation box for a week or two to give them a time out and allow the goby to settle in to the tank

dale347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown fish harassed a goby until he starved nearly to death. I had to give him away before he died. I tried rearranging rocks, moving the host, everything. Sorry!! Clown fish are great but not with anything smaller than them. Heck, they will come after my hands if I get too close to their area. They are fearless!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back