Aggressive fake Reef 120 gallon

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I started on R2R yesterday and was welcomed very generously. Thank you all for making people feel welcome. I've never been into social media so this is very new to me.
Anyway, I've started constructing (more like assembling) a Planet Aquarium 120 drilled tank that I ordered through my LFS. I also ordered the glass tops to keep any jumpers at bay and to help battle evaporation.
IMG_1411.JPG

I've also got the sump finished. It is a 40 breeder with baffles added for 3 compartments. First compartment will be filled full with seachem matrix. Second chamber is for all of the equipment (skimmer, heater, reactors, etc). Then the final chamber will house the return pump. I've also added a split from the return line to power the 25 watt UV sterilizer. Also a check valve so I don't have to worry as much on the depth of my return nozzles.
IMG_1490.JPG

Next will be getting the sump plumbed to the tank and getting the coral inserts ordered (fish only but wanted some color and plenty of hiding spots for the fish).
IMG_1699.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

As you can see it only has a few pipefish in it at the moment!! Lol

Still debating whether or not to paint the back panel black. Guess I better decide before filling this thing up.

Equipment so far:
AquaUV 25watt sterilizer with wiper, reef octopus 200int, current USA e-flux (3100GPH) DC return pump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For lighting I'll be using an old fixture I had kept from previous tanks. It is a 36" 4 bulb T5 HO fixture (odyssea) I believe. Just need to get some new bulbs.

Any recommendations for sources of replacement bulbs?

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention all the obstacles to get to this point.

First:
We had a ventless (natural gas) fireplace that took up an entire wall in the living room that had to be removed. A guy I work with does odd jobs on the side so I hired him to remove it, patch the drywall, and retexture. He did a great job.

Second:
We then had to get paint matched to keep from having to reprint the whole room. Actually matched pretty close and only had to paint the one wall.

Third:
We then had a section where the hearth sat that was now bare concrete and had no baseboard. So matching the baseboard was next. Got it close enough that the wife was happy with it. Then to pick out new carpet for the living room and hallway.

Fourth:
Now that the TV was being moved from a corner to the newly redone wall it required a different entertainment stand that wasn't one designed to fit in a corner.

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the white 48" Crystaline Planet. Total volume of water is about 100g. Stocking plans TONS of LPS need $$$ for wall hammers and acans I have a few high end mushrooms already maybe add a few more SPS but not a big fan of them tbh. As far as fish I like odd small fishes so I only have 5 tiny ones lol Plan on adding 5 anthias later on and tang

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the white 48" Crystaline Planet. Total volume of water is about 100g. Stocking plans TONS of LPS need $$$ for wall hammers and acans I have a few high end mushrooms already maybe add a few more SPS but not a big fan of them tbh. As far as fish I like odd small fishes so I only have 5 tiny ones lol Plan on adding 5 anthias later on and tang
Sounds good, if I was doing corals it would be LPS dominant. I like the fleshy corals the best.

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely paint the back. I've had a clear back and it was distracting. I found that black was less obtrusive than blue. I honestly never noticed it.

I would order the bulbs from BRS. They ship quickly, have competitive pricing and great customer service.

Good luck reefing. Welcome to the addiction.

- D

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a few things while out earlier today. Gonna get back out in about an hour and pick up some black acrylic paint to cover the back of the tank.

IMG_1813.JPG

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely paint the back. I've had a clear back and it was distracting. I found that black was less obtrusive than blue. I honestly never noticed it.

I would order the bulbs from BRS. They ship quickly, have competitive pricing and great customer service.

Good luck reefing. Welcome to the addiction.

- D
Got it painted! Next is plumbing. Nothing elaborate planned just going for function.
IMG_1814.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

Acrylic paint is a pain to get put on evenly. I think I went over it 10 times or more and used a hair dryer between coats to speed it up.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant Reef
I am planning 2 of the large plug and play pieces. I'll start with 1 and see if I want 2 once its in the tank.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished ordering 120# of sand,ATO, 4-marinepur plates, and a box of salt from BRS.

Then ordered the 1st of 2 possible coral inserts from Instant Reef.

$920 later and I think we are done except some minor purchases. This thing is about to get wet!!

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome :)

I've got a 140 gallon peninsula from Planet Aquariums. Been up and running for about a year now. Happy as I can be with it.

Enjoy :)
Yeah, these things are way over built. Hope it lasts a very long time!!
Nice... Big Fowlr's = Big Fish
that is the plan. Started back in 2010 with a nano 14 gallon, but until this build I've had nothing bigger than a 40 breeder. Wife and I wanted angels, tangs, and triggers so had to go bigger.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral insert came in today. Tell me what you think. Should I add 2 smaller pieces on each side of the big one, order another similar sized, or leave as is?
IMG_1870.JPG

IMG_1871.JPG

IMG_1872.JPG

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice piece. I think it would be nice to place it 1/3 of the way to the side and add smaller stuff to the other side. Rule of thirds.

Back