Aggressive on Aggressive? How does behavior work?

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have conflicting statements from my research, so I go straight to the source.

Can aggressive fish co-exist with other aggressive fish?

We’re supposed to keep meek fish with other meek fish, and that’s intuitive.

Peaceful fish will get bullied by aggressive. However with semi-aggressive fish, you have to have at least semi-aggressive tank mates so they don’t become bullied right?

Can we put aggressive fish together humanely? Can we keep them alive as well?

Say we make an “aggressive” themed reef. Maroons, Domino Damselfish, etc. Would those fish eventually form a pecking order, or would they just fight to the death?

Has anyone attempted something like this?

All resources online are very surface level, “Keep this fish with peaceful tank mates, it’s subject to bullying.” Or “keep this fish with more aggressive tank-mates so it doesn’t bully them.”

Thanks!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends a lot on what the fish in question are. If it is a fish that is known for territorial aggression, it’s best to keep fish that aren’t a perceived threat. Larger, predatory fish are best kept with tankmates that are unable to be eaten, but also at a similar aggression level so they won’t be bullied.
The best way to go about it is by a species to species basis though, as no two types of fish work the same.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a maroon that doesn't cause problems because there are no fish that it can bully. Foxface, large wrasse, eels, and the most cantankerous hawkfish. I'd say the key is knowing who's the likely bullies and making sure the non-bullies are big and tough.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back